It Works!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessieD

Reaction score
Being very new to soaping, I'm still in awe of things that I'm sure seasoned soapers don't give much thought to. I thought I'd share my excitement anyway, lol. Perhaps another newbie can share the excitement <gig>

I made my second batch of soap this morning. I had found somewhere that if you want to know exactly how much oils you need for your mould (good for people like me who aren't using actual moulds) You multiply LxWxH (length x width x height) and then take the number you get and multiply that by (.40). This will give you the weight in ounces of oils (fats) you need to fill that particular mould.

I took a 1.1q Lock n Lock container, measured it, did the calculations, and put that as my weight for my oils into soap calc. It gave me my other measurements, and when I poured in my soap, it was exactly to the top! I find this to be totally awesome! Now I can use ANY container, and fill it perfectly. How cool is that?!?! It works!!

Ok…my other thing….

This was my first batch with a stick blender. If you haven't read my other post….do NOT try to mix by hand. It's possible…but takes hours, and you will cry. :(

Anyhoo…lol. I splashed a little trying to control my stick blender, and a drop got on my chin.:shock: I noticed this when I started to feel a slight tingle/burning sensation. Not bad…but noticeable. I grabbed the vinegar (I had read vinegar neutralized Lye), poured a bit on a paper towel and dabbed it where I felt the burning. It stopped burning immediately. It works!! (also another reason to wear safety glasses…I'm glad I was…and possibly an argument for a face shield, but I still don't think I'll wear one)

Those are my eureka moments of the day. Lol. Has anyone else had some that they want to share?

good job!! eureka moments are the best, aren't they???

how did your second batch turn out?

good job!! eureka moments are the best, aren't they???

how did your second batch turn out?

It looks yummy! Literally. I even put a note on it in the fridge saying "DO NOT EAT>>>SOAP!!" :lol:

I have a husband with a sweet tooth and a teenaged son…it could be bad. Lol. I'll post tomorrow how it is after I cut it.

When measuring honey, spray the measuring spoon with Pam. The honey will slide right out!

Oh! That would have helped a lot! Thanks for the tip. I will definitely have to remember that one!!:)

Hello! I'm a newbie, too!

Vinegar really gives me confidence to work with lye. It was amazing to me, too, when I had to spray vinegar on my finger (I keep it in a spray bottle with my soaping ingredients now) after getting freshly-mixed soap batter on a hangnail. Ouch! It was immediate, wonderful relief. And a reminder to wear my gloves all the time!

I'm still amazed when I pour the lye water into the oils and I see the science of soap happening before my eyes. :shock: <= Me when mixing soap

I'm still amazed when I pour the lye water into the oils and I see the science of soap happening before my eyes. :shock: <= Me when mixing soap

Lol, me too. I hope I never lose this sense of wonder and excitement for new batches, ideas and processes. I'm a realist though, and I know I will lose a great deal of it, but from what I've read, the excitement over a new batch is something that may stay…I'm happy about that. :smile:

I get excited too!

I've been making sourdough bread for many years, and I still haven't lost the wonderment and excitement when I pull a loaf of beautifully risen bread out of the oven. I think i'll feel the same with soap for many many years to come!

Latest posts

Back