Isapropanol alcohol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trishwosere

Reaction score
Sorry to appear thick but could someone please tell me if this is the same as surgical spirit please? I live in the U.K (Duh...quite good at stating the obvious :oops: ) and its very difficult to get the spray alcohol here unless you want a huge amount... and then it's not in spray form :cry:
Any advice is appreciated, thanks loads :wink:

Hi trish,

I live in NZ, so I am really restricted with what I can buy - I feel your pain, its so frustrating!

I do however use Ethyl Alcohol, perfumers grade. This is sold via my local supplier, and my guess is - if its availble here its available anywhere :D

I can either buy it with pump or without, you can just use a pump bottle to disperse.

Not sure what the difference between the two is....? I did a quick google search. From what I could see - Ethyl is derived from grains and used in the alcohol we drink, and isopropyl is made with propene and is used for cleaning.

Both are used in formulas for rubbing alcohol, which is also called surgical spirit in the uk, but contain additives to the spirit to make it poisonous or methylated - so maybe this wouldnt be a good idea?

I've also read of others using really high % alcohol spirits to spritz. But Ethyl is much cheaper if you can get it.

Thanks loads busymakinsoap for your reply. I managed to get some... from ebay of all places, so I'm quite chuffed :D
Happy Soaping

Latest posts

Back