Is this lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dblondi03

Reaction score
Hello!
Last night I got a mold that I wanted to experiment with so I made a really tiny batch (4oz) of soap
I mixed the lye and the oils together and separated into two to add a yellow colorant in one of them and leave the other one natural.
This morning I took them out of the mold and saw white spots and lines.. I'm too much of a beginner to understand if this is lye or just the soap without the colorant?
I mixed very well and it was beginning to come to a good trace so I'm a bit confused if this is lye, and how did it not mix...
Thanks for the answers

Attachments

• 20210201_075325.jpg
    20210201_075325.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210201_075337.jpg
    20210201_075337.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210201_075342.jpg
    20210201_075342.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 19
Stick the tip of your tongue on the uncolored part of the soap. If it feels like your tongue has been zapped then it is probably lye. If all you get is a soapy taste, then the soap should be OK.

Wow, I'd never have thought of using my tongue. So to clarify, this is to check for excess lye, not to check if saponification is complete? Or both?

Wow, I'd never have thought of using my tongue. So to clarify, this is to check for excess lye, not to check if saponification is complete? Or both?
Both. If saponification is complete and the soap was made right, it shouldn't be lye heavy and zap, however, if it is not completely saponified, it could zap you simply because you checked too soon.
If I suspect lye heaviness I won't do a zap test for at least 72 hours after putting in the mold, even if it is already out and cut, just so I am sure saponification has been completed.

Latest posts

Back