Is there a way to fix a leaky mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Healinya

Reaction score
I love my wooden soap mold. It's perfect except that it leaks. The problem is that the plastic liners along the sides don't match up, they are just a hair off along the bottom corners. The soap comes out ok, I just lose a little, and it gets a little discolored by the leak, plus an added cleanup. Is there a product (such as rubber silicone maybe?) that can be used to fill the small gap with?

If the mold is actually leaking soap mixture out of the mold your problem will probably fix itself. Mine leaked when new but the soap mixture itself seemed to fill the cracks after a few batches and it no longer leaks. In the meantime, pour at medium or thick trace and it should be fine. After a couple of batches mine did not leak anymore even though the liners were a little short at the corners.

Well yes - if I don't scrape the leaky soap clean again, it will form a seal. I just like to clean all the old soap off afterwards. Thick trace still leaks - light trace makes a mess - I have scraped the leaks clean and weighed them - I lose about 2 ounces at a time (from a three pound mold). So, if I leave the soap stuck to the wood - it won't get too hard and dirty over time?

Yes, it comes apart. It's rectangle shaped, and it's the two long sides that come out, and the liners don't quite touch the liners of the short end. I've used rubber silicon before to fix leaky fish tanks. I just think I would have to be extremely careful not to use too much and ruin the mold altogther. The gap is so small (a little smaller than a toothpick) I need eagle eyes not to mess it up.

As I'm writing this tho - I think I am coming up with an easier alternative. If I shave a small bit of craft stock, like I have for the bottom of the mold, I guess I can wedge it in the gap every time.. I guess I can do that while I'm deciding on new molds. Thanks for the ideas:)

Healinya: in rereading this post last night, I realized that I had poorly written my response. Sorry!! Of course, I clean all the soap off my wooden molds. I scrape clean with an old plastic credit card. I really work at it to get all the leaked out soap off. I do not use water. However, some soap gets into the cracks of the joints and I cannot get at it there. This is what i meant by the leaked out soap kind of glueing the wood tighter. Obviously, the sections that come apart in my "take-apart" molds can be scraped clean, and of course, when the mixture leaks in behind the liners (ugg...) because the liners are a tiny bit short, that is all scraped off as well. It is just that i have noticed that these very same molds that leaked so badly in the beginning not longer leak as easily. It could be that the raw soap itself has caused the wood in these joints to swell over time and that in itself has fixed the problem. I can still get raw soap behind the liners and within the mold if I pour way to thin. It happens :D ! I am sorry if I confused you about this. I try to get every last bit of soap off my mold when cleaning....I don't think there is a sure-fire perfect mold out there....I have several types. I love my kelsie,cleans up perfect, but it has leaked too!!! My Chase mold is wonderful...easy to unmold and clean, but hard to get gel and the dimensions are not what I want in a finished bar, but it cannot leak!!!

I do sell a guaranteed leak proof log and slab molds. If they leak within 30 days, I'll give your money back!

My leak-proof log mold;
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=16533074

My leak proof slab mold with dividers;
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?li ... d=16108141

No silicone liner molds can't do this strength test;
IM000312.jpg

Paul

I do have to say .. haven't had a leak with my TOG and those liners take some serious abuse .. I tore my silicone one while I was contorting it to get the soap out.

Back