Irresponsible Soap "Teacher"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What she is doing that is borderline criminal is telling people it is safe to use dangerous practices. It would take someone suffering injury and suing her to get her prosecuted. And none of us want that to happen to someone. As she is a nurse, she is legally held to a higher standard of behavior than some random person off the street. That is why you will see the nurses among us telling people to see an MD for health issues before recommending any soap recipes for specific issues. We can be held legally accountable for any medical advice we give without a license, and why we stress best safe practices for everyone as far as gloves, goggles, soapcalc, etc.

Wow...that is so crazy! It probably happens more than any one of us wants to admit, unfortunately. I feel bad for the others who took (and probably paid) for this class who will go home and possibly hurt themselves. You say she's a medical professional? Maybe she's ensuring that she keeps her day job :)

Maya, I hope you weren't offended about my post. I was clear in that countless babies come into this world at the hands of skilled midwives that have proper degrees behind their names. I support them. However, that being said, you'd think someone with that kind of background would include and emphasize safety. Before my first batch, I read more articles, books and watched more videos than I can count. Without fail, every book, started out with lye safety. Heck, most people inherently know lye is dangerous to handle. It's lovely that someone wants to pass on the art of soapmaking. Though due diligence and do no harm come to mind..

I'm definitely one of the "always use the right equipment" camp, probably b/c I am a klutz and make a mess, and I don't think that will change. Even using goggles, long sleeves, gloves, etc. I still manage to splash batter on unprotected areas (the bits b/w the goggles and the rest of my face, and on my wrists b/w my gloves and the long sleeves, usually.)

I am not especially sensitive to batter on my skin - ie, it doesn't usually hurt/sting that much - but my mom asked me why I had little blotchy marks on my face the other day, I am pretty sure they were batter splashes. They will fade, but never, ever, want to have them be an issue with my eyes. I use them too much, you know?

Last edited:
not_ally I can relate I know what a klutz I can be, so I wear long gloves, and a paper mask The paper mask isn't so much for the fumes, but to protect from splashes. I am this much into the protective gear after hundreds of batches. It is when someone becomes casual and feels they have a couple of batches under their belt that accidents happen.

OO, I've been thinking about using a mask for that reason. I have dark skin, so in the past not worried too much about melanoma/skin cancer, I am not a sunbather, but I have wondered about the degree to which it might be triggered by repeated exposure/trauma, even if minor (eg, the constant lye blotches). Making soap as a klutz has made me reconsider the risk, too. Don't want to be an alarmist, just putting it out there. For me it is another reason to be careful, and there are not that many downsides.

Do you have a source for long nitrile/thin gloves? I am clutzy enough to need that sort, and the ones I have found always seem to end at the wrist.

Last edited:
I have a fluid resistant scrub jacket(I am a nurse) that I wear with the gloves over the top. Check with your local nursing uniform shops to see if they have the fluid resistant long sleeved jackets. This will be cheaper in the long run than the long gloves as they can be pricey for disposables. The jacket has the benefit of being washable and re-usable, as well as protecting your clothes. I don't know about you, but I get small splatters of raw soap across my front every time my SB catches some air in it.

I use something similar, my old microbiologist howie lab coat. It's liquid resistant and has ribbed cuffs that fit easily into the gloves.

I've seen those face shields on Amazon, and think they are especially great for those that wear reading glasses and can't fit goggles over their eye glasses. I actually have one in my shopping basket, just need to get the magic $35.00. Saponista I really miss my lab coat, I uses to work for a clinical laboratory in sales, and they liked us to wear the lab coat out in the field. Now I could really put one to use, I'll have to look around to see what I can find.

Regarding paper masks - remember if lye splashes up on it, it will be absorbed by the paper. This is why I got a full face shield that sits on my head, it's rather like a welding mask, but light and very easy to deal with - Harbor Freight for $14.99 at the store, or you can have it shipped to you

Gosh, thank you!!! We happen to have a Harbor Freight in town, and that would save me $19 shipping!

I've seen those face shields on Amazon, and think they are especially great for those that wear reading glasses and can't fit goggles over their eye glasses. I actually have one in my shopping basket, just need to get the magic $35.00. Saponista I really miss my lab coat, I uses to work for a clinical laboratory in sales, and they liked us to wear the lab coat out in the field. Now I could really put one to use, I'll have to look around to see what I can find.

Call your local uniform stores. Someone will have one, I promise. Even our local uniform services have them.

IT'S A BOY!!!!!! He arrived yesterday morning and all is well. :clap: Mom & baby are happy & healthy. His 2 big sisters are fighting to see who gets to hold him first, lol.

Once things settle down in her world, she'll make a trip here to spend time with family. Hopefully she'll be able to spend a couple of hours with me and we'll make safe, wonderful soap!

Wonderful news about the baby!

I'm wondering though if this lady even knows about lye safety or if her common sense is lacking? The consequences for her students could be awful!

Back