Recipe check please!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barefoot Farm Girl

Reaction score
Can I get a second set of eyes on this please? I was leary about it since she didn’t list percentages and when I ran it through soapcalc the liquid and lye don’t match. This will be my first attempt at goat milk soap and want to make sure it’s a good recipe so I’m not wasting ingredients. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0498.png
    IMG_0498.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0497.png
    IMG_0497.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 0
I think you are using hot process - am I correct? There may be additional advice about that from hot process peeps. But my initial advice is that you have too much CO - reduce that to 20%. You also have very little in there to contribute to soap longevity - the palmitic or stearic fatty acids. The best idea is to find/formulate a good soap recipe and then use the goats milk with it, rather than find a 'goats milk soap' recipe if that makes sense. When ever I use additives, my base recipe doesn't change - I have formulated it to just how I like it, and then if I want to add goats milk, oat milk, coconut milk, aloe, etc, I just tweak the water component and superfat to suit.
This is a good read to understand the fatty acids and properties they bring to soap: https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/blog/the-most-popular-fatty-acid-profiles-in-soapmaking/
Essentially - you need to include either animal fats, palm, shea/cocoa or other butters, or hydrogenated soy (soy wax) to increase the longevity of your soap. Otherwise it will wash away too quickly.

I think you are using hot process - am I correct? There may be additional advice about that from hot process peeps. But my initial advice is that you have too much CO - reduce that to 20%. You also have very little in there to contribute to soap longevity - the palmitic or stearic fatty acids. The best idea is to find/formulate a good soap recipe and then use the goats milk with it, rather than find a 'goats milk soap' recipe if that makes sense. When ever I use additives, my base recipe doesn't change - I have formulated it to just how I like it, and then if I want to add goats milk, oat milk, coconut milk, aloe, etc, I just tweak the water component and superfat to suit.
This is a good read to understand the fatty acids and properties they bring to soap: https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/blog/the-most-popular-fatty-acid-profiles-in-soapmaking/
Essentially - you need to include either animal fats, palm, shea/cocoa or other butters, or hydrogenated soy (soy wax) to increase the longevity of your soap. Otherwise it will wash away too quickly.
I’m doing cold process but you made a good point about not reinventing the wheel! Thank you!!!!

I agree with everything @KiwiMoose said above. Additionally, may I suggest that you make smaller batches when first starting out (enough for 2 - 4 bars); total of about 8 - 16 oz. batter weight. It helps to keep from going through a lot of raw materials until you're happy with your base recipe.
One's most important first goal is developing a base recipe that meets your requirements/attributes for a soap. Using a soap calculator helps with that, so you definitely are following good practices.

Back