Interesting Find

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I went to pick up some furniture from a house clearance - a full wood wardrobe and things like that, great stuff that the crazy new owner wanted to get rid of.

In one old cupboard I found this and thought we could all have a look at it

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1405186350.746695.jpg

Sweet! Thanks for showing us!!

Is there a list of ingredients? Is it laundry soap? (turpentine) Does it specify laundry, dishes, body...etc?

Have you tried it?

It's got the look of being not really made in the normal fashion - being particularly vague there, I know, but it doesn't look like a normal CP or HP. It is jolly old, too.

My Austrian wife tells me that Kernseifen (plural for Kernseife) is a cheaper soap, used for all sorts of stuff, especially cleaning the house or cleaning hands etc outside after gardening. Basic soap, rather than anything fancy-pants.

There were a whole lot of them (2 blocks in a pack) so I might see if I can get him to keep them to one side until I can pick them up again

Would this be anything like our brown laundry soap, Fels Naptha? I wonder. Off to read about FN.

OK, FN used as laundry soap, generally considered to be too harsh for bathing, but used to wash off toxins if one had been exposed to poison ivy, oak, etc. I remember my aunt taking the lather and applying it to her poison ivy rash and letting it dry. Also, the first soap to use naptha, which made it effective as a laundry soap.

Here's Wiki's explanation of naptha...
"Naphtha (/ˈnæfθə/ or /ˈnæpθə/) normally refers to a number of flammable liquid mixtures of hydrocarbons, i.e. a component of natural gas condensate or a distillation product from petroleum, coal tar, or peat boiling in a certain range and containing certain hydrocarbons. It is a broad term covering among the lightest and most volatile fractions of the liquid hydrocarbons in petroleum. Naphtha is a colorless to reddish-brown volatile aromatic liquid, very similar to gasoline."

So, similar to gasoline, and your soap uses turpentine. Interesting. I always remember a bar of FN next to the washing machine when I was growing up, if there were stains, my mother would rub them with that old, brown bar, and they'd be gone. Now that you've made me think of those brown bars, I'm going to have to see if I can still find them in the store. You've made me nostalgic for laundry soap! lol Nice find you have there!

Last edited:
You should take one of them and make a soap stamp from the imprint to make replicas...providing it isn't still an active trademark. Do you have an approximate age on those bars? I would love to find some antique soap. Perhaps I will scour craigslist or look for some estate sales. I have a friend who hits up all the estate sales looking for vintage perfume she can buy. I think I will ask her to keep her eyes open for vintage soap for me. Perhaps this could be a niche market...reproductions of long-lost soap, lol!

On a side note, if you can procure more of those I would definitely be interested in purchasing a box of them from you if you are game. If you are interested send me a pm and let me know :)

Would love to find an old FN bar to see how it works for stains. I am a chef by trade and have a hell of a time getting the stains out of my chef whites. I currently use oxi clean and it works ok for the most part but I would love it if I could make something myself that would do the job better and that I could give out to my crew so we would have no more dingy white uniforms. I recently switched us to black jackets for the kitchen and white ones for the dining room because the stains on the white kitchen jackets never send to fully come out.

Here another interesting article and test + Pics of making the "Kernseife".
Google translate will be helpful. :D

FYI:
The OP's soap was meant to soak the dirty laundry in, before washing it. (says so on the label).

Kernseife was the first solid NaOH soap - hence the name (like in Palm Kernel)

At first all soap was solely used for cleaning clothes, furniture a.o..
Only when personal hygiene became important, toilet soap was developed.

The origin of the Spiegel soap, probably was Austria. It was a very small company, taken over by mr Sonal in 1982 (long before the common use of the internet).
source: Liechtensteiner newspaper.

Back