Individual molds for HP Salt bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xraygrl

Reaction score
For those of you who use individual molds for your salt bars, what molds do you use? I was thinking of getting some silicone molds for this, but don't know if they will keep their shape. I don't like using log molds because of the small window of time in which the soap needs to be cut.

I suggest using highly flexible individual silicone molds. That way it is easier to get the soaps out.

I really like the flexible soap molds from bulk apothecary for salt bars. I got a square cavity mold last year through a secret Santa swap and it works great. The salt bars came out clean with sharp corners. I also used a crafters choice individual molds for the excess soap batter but the bars didn't come out cleanly.

Plus, all orders are 20% off through Monday. I'm gonna be picking up some more as well.

Square cavity mold

Rectangle cavity mold

Last edited:
I mostly use my wood slab mold lined with mylar for my salt bars. As for individual molds, I have no trouble using my heavy-duty Milkyway plastic molds. My salt bars pop right out like buttah after spending about 1/2 hour or so in the freezer.

IrishLass :)

I really like the flexible soap molds from bulk apothecary for salt bars. I got a square cavity mold last year through a secret Santa swap and it works great. The salt bars came out clean with sharp corners. I also used a crafters choice individual molds for the excess soap batter but the bars didn't come out cleanly.

Plus, all orders are 20% off through Monday. I'm gonna be picking up some more as well.

Square cavity mold

Rectangle cavity mold

Thanks so much for the heads up on crafters choice molds! I was actually thinking about ordering them to mold the salt bars in, so glad I asked first! I will definitely check out the molds at bulk apothecary!

Irish Lass,

I was wondering if the MWM's would work, I have a couple of those, good tip on the freezer. I was thinking about tossing them in the freezer, but was afraid that they would weep more upon thawing. It's really humid here most of the year (central FL).

I wish I had a slab mold with a divider. I have been wanting one of those for a few years now. Maybe Santa will bring me one some day.

Irish Lass,

I was wondering if the MWM's would work, I have a couple of those, good tip on the freezer. I was thinking about tossing them in the freezer, but was afraid that they would weep more upon thawing. It's really humid here most of the year (central FL).

Good point. I should have added the caveat that I live in a very dry climate. Mine sweat after taking them out of the freezer, but once they warm up to room temp they don't sweat or weep anymore.

Good point. I should have added the caveat that I live in a very dry climate. Mine sweat after taking them out of the freezer, but once they warm up to room temp they don't sweat or weep anymore.

No problem. I know with Salt bars I always have to think about the fact that I live in the great state of humidity LOL!

I ordered one of the square cavity silicone molds from the Bulk Apothecary today. I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival so I can make some salt bars. :D

I saw the oval one and thought it was nice too. I will give this square one a try and see how I like it before ordering more.

I really dislike the shape of the square. The rectangle and oval feel much nicer in the hands. I feel the square is awkward to hold without cutting.

I love my half round floral soaps. Unfortunately they ashed like a son of a gun so they are all mine but the fit nicely in my hand. I was going to introduce them to my product line but will need to try again. Generally they are rectangle. I don't like square soaps either.

I don't think I am that fond of square soap either, but I didn't like the dimensions of the rectangle.... 2x3x1.5. 1.5 is just too thick to "roll" comfortably in ones hand imho which is why I chose the square mold. Oh well, if I don't like it, I can always go for the oval mold later. Thanks everyone!

I really want to try the half cylinder mold from BB, it looks perfect for salt bars.

Latest posts

Back