Indigo Blues

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clhigh29

Reaction score
I was so excited to use my new indigo color and decided to use a favorite FO (BB's Sedona). Bad choice. In my excitement, I failed to consider how it would change the color. I took advice and mixed the indigo right into the lye. When I combined it with the oils, it turned a sage green. Hopeful that it would change with age, I covered and wait to no avail. All I have is this putrid green. I'm posting this only to show the interest shades each mold produced. The darker one is obviously the wooden log mold (I chose the wrong size). The rest I put in a plastic bar mold and then used paper cups. The one in the plastic mold (which I greased slightly with mineral oil) turned a bright green. The ones in the paper cup turn lighter than the log, but not as bright as the plastic mold. Three different colors (and none that I wanted) from one batch.

photo.JPG

Hm. I just made a soap with an indigo component tonight. I didn't add the indigo to the lye so I'll be curious to see how it ends up.

I know it's not what you're going for, but I really like the bottom one.

I kinda like that soft green, that's wild how the different molds made different colors.
The blue one from the wooden mold, are you happy with it?
Thanks for sharing the results. Got some indigo coming and I can't wait to try it.

With indigo I also get this lighter colored 'rind' around the soap edges or surface just like you did.

Without a discoloring FO you will get the same color as blue jeans.

I got that rind, too, on the dark one, which is kind of nice. It was a 2.5 lb. batch so I chose the 2 lb. mold. I could have easily used my 3.5 lb. and all would have been fine (even if not what was expected). But it turned into an interesting example of molding choices. It'll all get used. I don't sell yet because of things like this - still have so much to learn.

Oh, and Eyeroll, I read some reviews on BB website that mentioned that if you add the indigo to the lye mixture, you get a darker blue (in my case, green).

Latest posts

Back