Immediately Rebatched Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roguehippo

Reaction score
Has anyone ever re-batched salt bars within 24 hours of making them? Yesterday I made salt bars for the first time and used 1:1 salt to oil ratio. When I tried to take them out of the silicone molds this morning they were super crumbly. So I decided that since it wasn't a super large batch I would make a new batch of soap with the exact recipe as yesterday, minus the salt, and just add the first soap w/salt, which I had shredded, to it. Has anyone had success with this kind of thing before, or did I re-batch too soon since it hadn't cured completely?

I've rebatched salt bars immediately like that and it worked really well. For future reference, salt bars usually need to be cut 1-2 hours after pouring to prevent crumbling.

I put them in individual molds so I wouldn't have a problem with cutting. Makes me feel better that they will probably be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

My recipe was:
75% coconut
10% palm
10% olive
5% avocado
1:1 ratio salt to oils.

Was that to much salt maybe? And any pointers surely are more than welcome.

I generally use 50-75% salt. I've never had crumbling in individual molds either. I've never used Palm in my salt bars but I've used Olive and Avocado. My favorite is 80-90% Coconut, 5% Shea and the rest in Avocado. I love salt bars and use them all the time.

Maybe next time I'll not put palm oil and up the coconut. Maybe that made it to soft. I unmolded it just a minute ago and the edges were still slightly crumbly but nothing like before. Thanks for your advise.

i just posted a thread today about the same topic. i have not re-batched as yet , but i did grate up my bars, i did not use individual mold , i used a loaf mold and waited 6 hours to cut. my bars broke in half.
did you create the same formula and amount? ... did you add more salt as well or you just made the batch to act as a "binder" for your 1st batch?

I just grated up my 1st batch which was 2 pounds of oils. To make my second batch I used the same formula but just made it without salt and added 3 pounds of my previous salt soap mixture. So i did use the 2nd batch as a binder.

that sounds great ..... i may just go that route tomorrow and re-batch mine, its been sitting for awhile now (6 days). got some individual molds i will clean up tonight and have them ready .

Mine seemed to do better. Just minor crumbling this time. Good luck and let me know how it works for you.

I just grated up my 1st batch which was 2 pounds of oils. To make my second batch I used the same formula but just made it without salt and added 3 pounds of my previous salt soap mixture. So i did use the 2nd batch as a binder.

Great save! I rebatched mine in the crockpot but now after reading your solution I wish I had thought of it. Keep us posted on how they come out.

Mine seemed to do better. Just minor crumbling this time. Good luck and let me know how it works for you.

bi9b.jpg
[/URL]Uploaded with ImageShack.com[/IMG]

r1sg.jpg
[/URL]Uploaded with ImageShack.com[/IMG]

these are some "before & after" pic of my salt bar soap i simply redid the same recipe adding about 3-4 ounces of salt and my grated 1st salt soap batch and used individual soap molds . got 17 bars

Glad I came across this post as my first go at salt bars needs to be rebatched as well. Mine look like crumbling cement. Haha. Definitely gonna shred and add to new batch.
Great results on those before and after pics, nice save!

Should have uploaded my photo a couple days ago. Here is my rebatch. They are still a little crumbly but hopefully they will harden as they cure. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1381781909.243382.jpg

Okay so it's been more than a week since I rebatched my salt bars. Now they are sweating like they're trying to loose weight. I put my bars on paper to cure them and they have soaked the paper. Any ideas on what's happening and will they be okay?

Latest posts

Back