Im really confused about fragrance amounts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading this thread and having just finished a batch using FO I was wondering how much FO I should have used?
Oils were 800gr it’s just that the honey fragrance was very strong. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I used 10ml from the bottle. I now realize I should have weighed the FO, sodo calculator gave me 24gr but the scent was so strong I went for less.
10ml is pretty close to 10g but it’s a good idea to weigh it.
If you wanted to use the FO at 6% - 800 x 6/100 = 48g FO
If you want 5% - 800 x 5/100 = 40g FO

If your 10ml of FO = 10g in 800g of oil you’ve used 1.25% of FO and I’d be very surprised if you can smell it in your soap after saponification let alone after cure unless you have a really sensitive nose. Sorry.

what might be strong in the bottle or strong on day one might fade to nothing after a few weeks of cure.

soapcalc.net gives you 4% = 31 g
24g is 3% which isn’t a very effective amount for most FOs but they do vary and some people don’t like much fragrance at all so it all comes down to personal preference in the end.

Debby at the bottom left hand corner of your post there is an “edit” message. If you click on that within a few days of posting you can edit your post.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, very helpful.
Yes, you are right so far the soap doesn’t smell strong in the moulds today (thank goodness!) as the smell was so strong at the time of mixing I was worried I had used too much FO. I’ve now decided fragrance isn’t for me, especially this honey fragrance! Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply, very helpful.
Yes, you are right so far the soap doesn’t smell strong in the moulds today (thank goodness!) as the smell was so strong at the time of mixing I was worried I had used too much FO. I’ve now decided fragrance isn’t for me, especially this honey fragrance! Thanks again.
Give it a bit of time. In 6 weeks it will probably mellow a lot.
I have some friends who make soap and use FO at about 2% for personal use and that’s all they want.
I have another friend who has to have all my soap room doors closed while she’s here or she gets a headache and she only uses my fragrance free soap.
If you choose to go fragrance free you might not choose to use lard which a lot of people say they can still smell even if it has an FO “covering” it up.

I have some friends who make soap and use FO at about 2% for personal use and that’s all they want.
I have another friend who has to have all my soap room doors closed while she’s here or she gets a headache and she only uses my fragrance free soap.
If you choose to go fragrance free you might not choose to use lard which a lot of people say they can still smell even if it has an FO “covering” it up.
Really?? Lol i dont think lard smells like anything. I just smelled it lol. And i dont even eat pork.

i think if you lied and said it was shea butter they would be like mmMMmmmm lol

Really?? Lol i dont think lard smells like anything. I just smelled it lol. And i dont even eat pork.

i think if you lied and said it was shea butter they would be like mmMMmmmm lol

I'm only going on what people on this forum say. I don't use it because of the BHT and I make vegetarian or vegan soap. I make fragrance free castile but in general I like fragrances. It makes me happy to walk into my house and smell all my soapy scents mixed together.

I rarely eat pork or bacon but if I do it is preservative free but that's just me.

Think I’ve got your friends sense of smell! As you say the smell does fade away gradually anyway. It’s so annoying as when you give someone a bar of soap even just to look at, what do they do - smell it! 😂

Latest posts

Back