I'm a soap making virgin....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgjsmith

Reaction score
I just recently thought, hey know what I want to make my own soap!! Mainly because I love the way Goat milk soap feels, but I can't ever find it around here. So I've been doing some snooping and it doesn't seem too far out of my scope:) I'm always trying to broaden my horizon... Anyway I ran into a wee little problem Where in the heck do you buy Lye? I think I found a lady about 2 hours from here who sells soap making supplies. I don't mind doing that is I really am going to be serious about it but I'd really like to try a batch first I noticed that theres a drain opener at my local Lowes that says "all lye" but I was a little unsure (ok alot of unsure) of using it as I don't know what addatives are in it.
Are there any recomendations as to books or websites that are good "so you've decided to make your own soap" or "soap making for dummies" I'm so excited about this and can't wait to try but want to go in with my eyes WIDE open and not stumble around blindly :D Thanks Ladies. Crystal S from Lynchburg TN (Yes its home to Jack Daniels, No there arn't drunk people everywhere and yes were a dry county :D )

the local ace hardware should have it or you can have them order it if not try other hardware stores

Welcome to the forum!

IMO you can use the lye that you found at Lowe's, *as long as* the label indicates that it is 100% pure lye with no additives. I've used it before with no problems. You can also order lye online from reliable sources such as The Lye Guy and Essential Depot. If you're just giving it a try, I'd go with the stuff from Lowe's.

One website that has good info is Miller Soap, however take everything that you read online with a grain of salt - some of her info is outdated. For example, you can't melt crayons to use as colorants in cold processed soap. Another website that I like is Soap Queen, which is a blog written by the founder of Brambleberry; she has a lot of video tutorials that are very helpful. I am an online kinda person rather than a book person, at least for soapmaking purposes, so I do my research on the internet.

Another good resource is Youtube. You can find videos on all aspects of soapmaking from lining a mold to packaging the bars for sale. Again, take everything with a grain of salt. Read up on good manufacturing practices, such as always using gloves/goggles - you'll see folks in the videos on Youtube not using either. It's always recommended to wear protective equipment.

Good luck and hope to see you posting pics of your soapy creations around the forum!

Welcome to the forum!

IMO you can use the lye that you found at Lowe's, *as long as* the label indicates that it is 100% pure lye with no additives. I've used it before with no problems. You can also order lye online from reliable sources such as The Lye Guy and Essential Depot. If you're just giving it a try, I'd go with the stuff from Lowe's.

One website that has good info is Miller Soap, however take everything that you read online with a grain of salt - some of her info is outdated. For example, you can't melt crayons to use as colorants in cold processed soap. Another website that I like is Soap Queen, which is a blog written by the founder of Brambleberry; she has a lot of video tutorials that are very helpful. I am an online kinda person rather than a book person, at least for soapmaking purposes, so I do my research on the internet.

Another good resource is Youtube. You can find videos on all aspects of soapmaking from lining a mold to packaging the bars for sale. Again, take everything with a grain of salt. Read up on good manufacturing practices, such as always using gloves/goggles - you'll see folks in the videos on Youtube not using either. It's always recommended to wear protective equipment.

Good luck and hope to see you posting pics of your soapy creations around the forum!

Also Always lye in the water, not water into lye. BAD REACTION, volcano effect

I used the lye from the local hardware store for years before finding Food Grade Lye. It is just fine for soaping as long as it is 100% Lye. If you have little ones or pets around just be very careful and aware of them bumping into you when you are mixing the lye water and don't use any aluminum pots, bowls or utensils.

I ordered my lye from Essential Depot online. I was not able to find straight lye in my local hardware store. (Oh, and I am not a lady, lol)

I was looking at the Roebic drain cleaner it says 100% lye and theres no ingrediant list. I don't know if it means 100% of this product is lye or if it means the Lye in this product is 100% There isn't an ingrediant list at all

Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener contains 100% Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda; lye) and clears tough clogs from pipes and drains. Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener destroys grease and other kitchen clogs and will keep drains clear.

Thanks ladies and Gent :)
Crystal

The Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener says that it is 100% Sodium Hydroxide, that is the one that I would go with personally. The Roebic says 100% lye, but without an ingredient list, I am not sure I would trust it, but then again, I tend towards being overly cautious.

Roebic is 100% lye, so it's fine.
Also, I saw that you asked for any good book recommendations, I highly recommend Alicia Grosso's The Everything Soapmaking Book (Excellent book by an excellent soaper)

P.S. Welcome to the forum and to the dangerously addictive world of soaping :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. :) I ordered lye from Essential Depot when I first started; I also think the 100% lye drain cleaners are fine. As far as books - I like Milk Soapmaking by Anne L. Watson.

I drove by Jack Daniel's place a few weeks ago. My son and I were looking for a wine making shop over there somewhere - Tullahoma I guess? While we were there we toured the George Dickel distillery. We're near Lawrenceburg if you've ever travelled in this direction. :)

I was looking at the Roebic drain cleaner it says 100% lye and theres no ingrediant list. I don't know if it means 100% of this product is lye or if it means the Lye in this product is 100% There isn't an ingrediant list at all

Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener contains 100% Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda; lye) and clears tough clogs from pipes and drains. Heavy Duty Crystal Drain Opener destroys grease and other kitchen clogs and will keep drains clear.

Thanks ladies and Gent :)
Crystal

Hi and Welcome over in Greeneville TN,

You are A OK with that lye. I have made many batches of soap with it. BTW goat milk soap can be had in almost anywhere in the state. Many farmer markets have a goat milk soaper. You can find local farms in your area on the net that sell it. Since goats are one of the big small farm animals here it is all over the place for sale. Truck stops, restruants, gas stations and specialty stores.

Chicklet I know exactly where it is. Did you come to a red light in front of a Walgreens in Tullahoma? It was right there on the right :) I probably could have found some at the farmers market in the summer but I'm a little impatient. We our self have had goats for almost 5 years. I don't milk though I may start if I like this soap making:) Thanks for the reccomendations. I've been watching soap making queen videos.
So do you think its possible to make a soap with Jack Daniels I could make a killing if it was LOL
Crystal

Hmmm..... I've made beer soap, and lots of people make wine soap, I would think whiskey soap is possible - but why waste it in soap!?! :)

My brother and sister-in-law milked goats for a while - they have a cow now so I make a lot of cow milk soap. The goat milking was the coolest thing to watch - the mama goat was very gentle and well trained - she would walk up the ramp of the milking table and "assume the position" by herself when it was milking time. I would love to have a goat or two and some chickens as well, but I live in a subdivision so it's kind of frowned upon. :)

And yes, the little wine making shop was on the right - kind of behind a beauty shop. Hard to find, but a cute little store. My son was the one looking for wine stuff, but I bought some Bentoninte clay there and have been using it in some of my soaps.

If you have Amazon Prime, it would be hard to beat this Pure Lye Drain Opener for $7.90/lb. http://amzn.com/B002BW4MV8 Even has a review from a soaper.

My Menards has a similar product for between $5 and $6, so I'll probably pick mine up local, but this is a good option if there's nothing in your store.

If you have Amazon Prime, it would be hard to beat this Pure Lye Drain Opener for $7.90/lb. http://amzn.com/B002BW4MV8 Even has a review from a soaper.

My Menards has a similar product for between $5 and $6, so I'll probably pick mine up local, but this is a good option if there's nothing in your store.

You're lucky - my Menards doesn't carry it :thumbdown:

Yep, "100% sodium hydroxide" is the magic phrase.

I'd strongly recommend that you have a few batches of soap under your belt before you try milk soap.

Welcome to the forum!

Anita

I was searching for local places that sold supplies. And I found a 'holy grail' in Westbury NY. LOL

There is a Fairway Market (a well known health food store chain) Michaels Crafts.........and .....a Home Depot...in the same shopping center. Right next door to each other. They are within walking distance of a Target & a Walmart.

I swear I heard the soaping angels sing. LOL

Roebic is 100% lye, so it's fine.
Also, I saw that you asked for any good book recommendations, I highly recommend Alicia Grosso's The Everything Soapmaking Book (Excellent book by an excellent soaper)

P.S. Welcome to the forum and to the dangerously addictive world of soaping :)

I recommend this book as well. Very informative and a quick tangible resource. :) good luck with your adventure and welcome to the soap club for awesome people! Never be afraid to ask questions on here!!!! These peeps are a wealth of great info!

Back