If I were to sell...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://heritagesoapspa.com, https://www.heritagesoapsandcandles.com/our-story

Did you want a concept similar to this? On a side note, is there anyone in the Lancaster, PA area that knows this brand? One thing we all can agree on is that it is important to list your ingredients. You don't have to outright give your recipe away but MOST of us like to know what it is that we are getting.

Edit: I'm adding the second link because I like the little back story. Since you want to keep the tradition of using animal fats and in someway, it is linked to the heritage of soaping, I thought you can give this a read. It sounds like you want to .be the Traditionalist Soaper, inspired by soaps of old and to riding the vegetarian/vegan soap wagon. I can appreciate that but that's linked to my heritage in this country as well as the ones I will never fully know my ties to. Most of my ancestors did not let any part of their hunt go to waste. Even though that fat is used in petfood as a flavoring agent, I rather see lard and (usually beef) tallow in soap. It feels nice and it feels good to know there's another use for what many consider an animal by-product, for lack of better words. Honor Porky & Bessie, Lenarenee. (need to go to sleep XD)

Last edited:
http://heritagesoapspa.com, https://www.heritagesoapsandcandles.com/our-story

Did you want a concept similar to this? On a side note, is there anyone in the Lancaster, PA area that knows this brand? One thing we all can agree on is that it is important to list your ingredients. You don't have to outright give your recipe away but MOST of us like to know what it is that we are getting.

Edit: I'm adding the second link because I like the little back story. Since you want to keep the tradition of using animal fats and in someway, it is linked to the heritage of soaping, I thought you can give this a read. It sounds like you want to .be the Traditionalist Soaper, inspired by soaps of old and to riding the vegetarian/vegan soap wagon. I can appreciate that but that's linked to my heritage in this country as well as the ones I will never fully know my ties to. Most of my ancestors did not let any part of their hunt go to waste. Even though that fat is used in petfood as a flavoring agent, I rather see lard and (usually beef) tallow in soap. It feels nice and it feels good to know there's another use for what many consider an animal by-product, for lack of better words. Honor Porky & Bessie, Lenarenee. (need to go to sleep XD)

Similar concept? That's too basic/rustic for me, even unprofessional (not that I wouldn't spend some serious money in their shop if I could read their labels!)

My recipe is not special except that it's the one that I love.

Can you image how would people react to the name Carnivore Soapworks! ?

You did ask...

I want to know all the ingredients, because I am very fussy.
I don't want to use pomace on my skin so unless it specifies pure OO or EVOO or I know the maker or there is a website I can check I won't buy it.
I am allergic to palm even in soap. I'm allergic to most EOs.
I don't want EDTA or SLS or SLSA.
I only want natural colours.
I want vegetarian or vegan soap because I don't want BHT and I don't know where the animal fats used are from.
I don't want spots or poorly made soap that looks like it did not work.

See why I have to make my own soap? I am not alone.

It hasn't all been done.
If you live in a small area and are selling in that area then you are making local and they are buying local, small manufacture, handmade soap.
There is art and art. Simple is an art.
There has to be something about your soap that is different and that you are passionate about because any business, no matter how small, is tough. You need to know that what you are doing is worthwhile and that there are customers out there who want what you want to produce.

Thank you for that - all of it! I agree with your standards but I chose to fudge on the BHT because I can get lard really, really cheap here. However, I long for Fannie and Flo's organic lard, but wow! Cost plus shipping is shocking! I could change to palm I guess because Smart and Final also sells huge cheap blocks of it. But I gave up palm for environmental reasons (this is not sustainable)

Lots to think about. Lots and lots. Thanks Penelope. I have yet a third "branding" idea I haven't mentioned because it's quite unique, although I don't know how to accomplish it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you label, market it the idea of affordable luxury? I don't really need to market it, but I do want my soap to have a meaning, or stand for something, if you will.

I've already played around with a name: Simple Basin Soaps. (feel free to critique, won't hurt my feelings). For a tag line I was thinking: Simple, Quality, Classic. I love the fact that soap making is an old skill from thousands of years ago (I also use animal fats - the first ever soaping fats), but I'm not sure "classic" speaks to that. Using the word historical just sounds old.
How about something like this:
Simple Basin Soaps
Classic Quality
~Celebrating a Forgotten Heritage~
I'm not sure what 'Simple Basin Soaps' says to me, but the first thing that comes to mind is that the soap is for use in a basin (sink). Have you checked to see if names like 'Vesuvius Soaps' are taken? Something like that may fit with your historical aspect.
I think branding is important because your products are immediately recognizable as your own, and good branding sets the tone for your products as well. Think of Tiffany & Co. as an example - is their jewelry really any better than anyone else's? Not really, but people love the illusion of those blue boxes and bags!! I know this isn't the best analogy since you're going for simple and affordable, but you get my meaning...find your niche and run with it!

How would you label, market it the idea of affordable luxury? I don't really need to market it, but I do want my soap to have a meaning, or stand for something, if you will.

I've already played around with a name: Simple Basin Soaps. (feel free to critique, won't hurt my feelings). For a tag line I was thinking: Simple, Quality, Classic. I love the fact that soap making is an old skill from thousands of years ago (I also use animal fats - the first ever soaping fats), but I'm not sure "classic" speaks to that. Using the word historical just sounds old.
You just said it! At $6, Handmade soap is an affordable luxury! My labels read, "Zany Handmade Soap. One of Life's Little Luxuries."

Labels attract; Fragrance sells!
For example, I had a young person come to my table, browsed all the soaps, sniffed a few, and kept coming back because he couldn't decide between Bora Bora and Tahitian Vanilla. He finally went with (MMS) Tahitian Vanilla. Another person bought a bar of Lavender Anise (EO Blend), then contacted me later and bought the last 5 bars. Plain Jane, unscented soap the way they used to make it! Castile Soap with 85% olive oil! Butter Up! with Cocoa, Shea & Mango butters.

For a name, I kept it simple. I thought about all the top commercial brands and most had 4-5 letters: Dove, Ivory, Dial, Coast, Zest, etc. and decided on "Zany" for its uniqueness. It also gave me poetic license to market lard soap as "Miss Piggy's Secret" and my lard & PKO hair and body wash LS as "Hog Wash". Other soaps people are attracted to are "Tea Tree", Goat Milk, Oats & Honey.

2¢ Worth.gif

Carnivore Soaps is certainly eye catching. Pretty bold in my head. Are you going to be that one company that stands by its soaps and says "This ain't your vegan soap" or something to that effect.

side note: I just finished a disappointing batch just a few minutes ago.

I like carnivore soaps too. “A step to the better life”. But then I dislike the the vegan/vegetarian lifestyle and morals.

Cerelife you're brilliant!!! You just elevated the boring into something proud and respectable!!!!! As of last night (laying in bed not sleeping) I gave up on Simple Basin but I'm rethinking. And if I did follow through with that idea, I'd like to have a label or tag with a little paragraph about the life changing legacy of soap. Even mention Global Handwashing day. (I do like things to be meaningful, don't I?)

Interesting point about the short names for commercial soaps. I'm not married to "Simple Basin". (I preferred Simply Soap, but there's one in Canada)

As for Carnivore soap - I was kidding! I'm in Southern California, north of San Diego where no one brags about eating meat although most people still do. (Now, if I moved to Texas...:D)

And Zany, I wish I had even half of your sense of humor!

For your name, if I could pitch an idea? What about Clean Basin Soaps? "Clean" could also convey the simplicity of your soaps. I can see a couple arguments for not using it as well (don't want people mistaking your soaps as household cleaning products).

Your ideas are where I also started my business (and then I got sidetracked by "frou-frou" soapmaking) and what I am going to work to take my business back to (with the exception of my soap of the month club, because those people pay money for something special every month). There is a soapmaker from MN that comes around to my area periodically, all of their soaps are white with different scents, plastic wrapped (like a present) and a ribbon accent (different color for each fragrance). I'll take a picture if I remember when I get home. One thing I have discovered is that most of my customers will not remember the name of the soap, or even what the fragrance smelled like, but they will remember the color and design. (I have one customer that refers to my "camouflage" soap when she re-orders.) I think the different colored ribbon on the packaging is the customer point of reference. I don't think they have an ingredient label on theirs, but they do offer the information online and at their booth.

In the end, the most important thing is that you are making yourself happy. If you truly mean to make this a hobbyist endeavor, then that should be your focus. When you stop enjoying it, that's the time to be done.

Just dipping in to say that I love the names Simple Basin Soaps and Clean Basin Soaps, but they also immediately brought me to think of the decently large bath and body shop called... Basin.

https://basin.com/

I wonder if that might cause some confusion or issues for you? At any rate, I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors and hope you keep us updated on your progress!

No, farmstead wasn't where I wanted to go. Thanks for your opinion! I've been having a hard time pinpointing my "brand" ( I use that word lightly).
My marketing friend asked me what I wanted my soap to say. Pfffft! My soap says nothing! I don't buy into the "natural" thing. I use and love using animal fats. Soap fascinates me because of its history. Aleppo, Greek, French soap makers pouring soap in to a floor that serves as a mold! Pioneers stirring vats of soap on the prairie! Soap is an overlooked, everyday common item that most people never think twice about,
YET soap saves lives and prevents a lot of illness! We've forgotten that soap is a little miracle.

Oooh. Can an animal fat soap company be named Miracle Soap Co.? (FDA knocking at my door!)

I would probably avoid the word Miracle...just would not want anything I made labelled that way.

I love the "heritage" idea above! I would definitely use it in the advertising end. What about Heritage Soap Co.?

I don't really get Simple Basin Soap. What are you trying to convey with that word?

Basin is a word with fond memories. In a New Hampshire state park, The Basin is a huge boulder shaped by eons of water flow that has carved out its oval shape. The water now whirls around a almost a circle before exiting.

My grandmother used to call the bathroom sink a basin.

Again, I'm not afraid to change the name.

20180308_201222.jpg
20180308_201231.jpg
attached is the simple packaging I was talking about. They do have an ingredient label on the bottom as well.

I completely got the heritage reference to "basin" and I think if you are marketing for the type of clientele that would understand it, keeping it is a wonderful idea.

Basin is a word with fond memories. In a New Hampshire state park, The Basin is a huge boulder shaped by eons of water flow that has carved out its oval shape. The water now whirls around a almost a circle before exiting.
I was intrigued, so I looked up The Basin...oh my!! Now I'm in love with the 'Simple Basin Soaps' name! In this context it's both unique and meaningful!!
Here's a video of The Basin so everyone can see how cool it is!

Maybe you could have an Ipad/Tablet on a stand playing this video (or something of your choosing) on a loop for customers to see the meaning of your company name?
I gave up on Simple Basin but I'm rethinking. And if I did follow through with that idea, I'd like to have a label or tag with a little paragraph about the life changing legacy of soap. Even mention Global Handwashing day. (I do like things to be meaningful, don't I?)
Labels like that would be perfect! I don't know how you feel about soapboxes, but I use them because I don't like the idea of people handling the naked soap and putting it back down (I work in a hospital), and I don't like plastic at all!! When I first started using soapboxes, the back of the box just looked so bare, so I made a label that covers the back and is basically a replica of my business card. I think there would be plenty of room for you to write a paragraph on them! I'm doing a festival this weekend, so I'll take pics of my soapboxes to give you an idea of what I mean :)

I'm honored - you understand cerelife.

The video is nice (and thanks for digging it up) but as you can imagine it doesn't do it justice. We visited Franconia Notch park many times and it never got dull. Factor in the scent of pine forests, moss, churning waters and babbling brooks and busy birds.....

How do you fit that on a label? ....*sigh*.....don't even try.

I've actually been considering soap boxes.

Latest posts

Back