If I were to sell...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the weekend I've eliminated one idea I was considering for my soap "brand". I didn't mention it here; I was going with Bee Native; would include a label or attached tag with a pic and note on one of the native bee species we have in San Diego. However, it seems I would have to get permission to use pics from article and books (that fact that native bees even exists is not well know so not a lot of info on them). Then there's the work of getting them uploaded and printed. Now, our friend the native bee expert would have been happy to provide all of this, but he's busy with his post grad studies and young child.

So I'm going with a theme of soap education; will find a way to include Clean the World and/or Global Handwashing. And remind people that as humble as soap is - it's vital.

Now I just need to pick a name. My friend Tif likes Simple Basin, and also suggested Simply Sincere Soaps (I would use Soapworks, because I love the word, but everybody uses it!)

You just used the descriptor Humble. I like that! Humble Basin Soapworks. Works for me.

Oooh. Humble Origins Soap Co? (humble is not an impressive description to many people, is it)

I've also thought of a name only a soap maker could love: Perfect Trace Soap Co! I love it - but people would be confused by it.

I've also thought of a name only a soap maker could love: Perfect Trace Soap Co! I love it - but people would be confused by it.
But since you would be on hand to explain it, it's a talking point. What matters it that YOU love it! I chose the name of my business (Minou Bleu) because it popped into my head one day while making soap and it felt like the perfect fit. It never even crossed my mind that people wouldn't 'get' it. I loved it and it still makes me ridiculously happy to see it on my products/banners, business cards, etc.
'Minou Bleu' has absolutely nothing to do with soap and half the time people can't even pronounce it. But that hasn't hurt my business - if anything it's helped since people often ask what it means - starting a conversation that in turn leads to my products/why I make them/why I'm passionate about them. BTW, it's pronounced 'ME-new Blue' and this is where it came from:
http://www.minoubleu.com/Minou.html
If YOU love your name and your products, that enthusiasm is contagious! Then you can hit them with with your knowledge and the history of soap!! I thought of you this weekend at the festival I was attending while explaining Castile soap. I had some gorgeous 2 year old bars available, but you've gotta tell people they are going to feel very different than other soaps, and in all honesty, it's something of an acquired taste. But people loved hearing the history of soap, and I actually sold out of them!

Here ya go
thumbs-down-smiley-emoticon.gif

Lenarenne, ^^^ these are for Zany not for anything you posted :D

Attachments

• funny-thumbs-down-smiley-emoticon.gif
    funny-thumbs-down-smiley-emoticon.gif
    28.4 KB · Views: 8
  • ninja-boy-thumbs-down-smiley-emoticon.gif
    ninja-boy-thumbs-down-smiley-emoticon.gif
    117.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh. Humble Origins Soap Co? (humble is not an impressive description to many people, is it)

Humble can go either way, I think. In the context of a hand made item, I would think of simple, comforting, nothing superficial. I can see where you might not want to take the chance on misinterpretation of your meaning though. Naming a business is as hard as naming a child! How about Humble Luxury? I love your Perfect Trace idea - and like cerelife said - it might be a great talking point. Although you will have to be adept at the short explanation - you don't want customers' eyes glazing over except in ecstasy with the beauty and fragrance ;)

Carolyn: Thanks! But those guys look mean, doncha think??? I'm thinking more of a kinder, gentler smiley -- just a thumb up or thumb down so everyone could vote as different names come up.
Karen: Sorry, I'd vote thumb down for the names you mentioned in #46 post.

big-thumbs-down-smiley-emoticon.gif thumbs-down-hand-smiley-emoticon.gif thumbs-down-sign_1f44e (1).png
Carolyn: Thanks! But those guys look mean, doncha think??? I'm thinking more of a kinder, gentler smiley -- just a thumb up or thumb down so everyone could votes as different names come up.
Karen: Sorry, I'd vote thumb down for the names you mentioned in #46 post.
The second one was supposed to be a funny thumbs down. I did not think they were mean looking, well maybe the ninja :D
Maybe these are better

Last edited:
Lenarenee
I don’t know why you would listen to me but for what it is worth I am sorry but I don’t like “basin soaps” or “basin heritage soaps” or basin anything. For someone who doesn’t know that basin is a place it just seems weird because of a wash basin and soap.

I like the humble soap company. To me that means simple, honest soap. Not pretending to be anything it is not.

Good luck. It is an incredibly important decision. Good luck.

I was going with Bee Native; would include a label or attached tag with a pic and note on one of the native bee species we have in San Diego.

If my vote matters...

The more I think about this the more I love it. It’s unique, it’s local, and if I remember right your kid was the one with the bee interest which would give another conversation topic on how you even learned about the local bees. The downside would be that you’d be expected to specialize in honey soaps (which you haven’t mentioned in this thread) and it doesn’t exactly match up with the affordable luxury idea talked about earlier in the thread.

Perfect Trace would be my second choice as a simple, easy to remember name. Simple Trace could be a variation to make a more literal connection if you’re still looking for the affordable luxury idea

So many great suggestions! All that keeps popping in my head is:

"By The Sink ~ A Soap Company that Cares about The Environment & Our Heritage"

Soaps will sit next to or on the sink, that is why I just thought it`d suit well.
You don`t happen to live by the sea? It could also read:

"By The Seank ~ The Soap Company that Cares about The Environment & Our Heritage"
"By The Seank", I think of a play on words, as sea and sink both sounds the same in the beginning.

Or what about (last one, I promise!)

~ Down The Drain ~
The Soap Company That Guards the Knowledge from The Past, into The Present Future.

As it shows that everything from the past will affect the future, no matter if it is something washed down the drain, or knowledge about more environmentally friendly soap passed on to future generations.

Oh dear, listen to my ramblings, never mind me I am of no use today!! (Those that work in the advertizing, how do they do it? :confused:)

Humble can go either way, I think. In the context of a hand made item, I would think of simple, comforting, nothing superficial. I can see where you might not want to take the chance on misinterpretation of your meaning though. Naming a business is as hard as naming a child! How about Humble Luxury? I love your Perfect Trace idea - and like cerelife said - it might be a great talking point. Although you will have to be adept at the short explanation - you don't want customers' eyes glazing over except in ecstasy with the beauty and fragrance ;)

*innocently asking*......why would anyone's eye glaze over when talking soap??
Lenarenne, ^^^ these are for Zany not for anything you posted :D

Yes I know - no worries!! I liked both of them - one was kind of a mad thumbs down and one was more sad.

My soapy heart: I actually live in the Village by the Sea!! However, that could change in as little as a year.

My friends have provided more ideas and I've narrowed it down to these: (will be using the words Soap or Soap company, possibly
soapworks at the end)

Perfect Trace
Just Add Water
Wash Basin
Simple Basin - classic quality, celebrating a forgotten heritage
Rain Shadow
Simply Sincere or Sincere and Simple Soaps
Candid Soaps

Please feel free to critique!! It won't hurt my feelings!

If my vote matters...

The more I think about this the more I love it. It’s unique, it’s local, and if I remember right your kid was the one with the bee interest which would give another conversation topic on how you even learned about the local bees. The downside would be that you’d be expected to specialize in honey soaps (which you haven’t mentioned in this thread) and it doesn’t exactly match up with the affordable luxury idea talked about earlier in the thread.

Perfect Trace would be my second choice as a simple, easy to remember name. Simple Trace could be a variation to make a more literal connection if you’re still looking for the affordable luxury idea

Yes, yours and everyone's vote matters!.

Battle Gnome you're absolutely right and I still love the idea....a lot....but with limited computer skills I'm intimidated by the amount of work it would take to pull it off (and our little one still has a passion for the native bees!) I've consoled myself with the knowledge that I can make a couple of Bee Native limited edition soaps.

Oh, and native bees don't product honey! (At least not the ones in San Diego area) Most are solitary bees or live in very small groups at best. Most are capable of stinging, but rarely do and cause very little irritation from it! No one has to be afraid of holding a native bee on their hand!

I'm also liking Perfect Trace more and more. Simple Basin or Wash Basin is 2nd. But those are plain names. Perfect Trace is unique - and apt to make people are questions.

Lenarenee
I don’t know why you would listen to me but for what it is worth I am sorry but I don’t like “basin soaps” or “basin heritage soaps” or basin anything. For someone who doesn’t know that basin is a place it just seems weird because of a wash basin and soap.

I like the humble soap company. To me that means simple, honest soap. Not pretending to be anything it is not.

Good luck. It is an incredibly important decision. Good luck.

Sorry I didn't notice this at fist. There's no need to apologize - I want to hear everyone's opinions because you all will notice or think of things that I don't. Basin is a special place for me, also an old fashioned word for sink which has fond memories - but as you've pointed out - it won't mean anything to other people. So "Simple Basin" could sound like "Plain Boring Soap Co." to them - and who can respect a bar of Plain and Boring Soap??.

(Ok...actually I love plain and boring soap. But that's because as a soap maker I can detect the nuances that non-makers don't; hardness, waxiness, opaqueness, gelled, non gelled, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like just add water. With handmade soap below but not actually in the name.

I also like rain shadow.

Ask some people who know nothing about soap about the name perfect trace. I personally, don’t like it for a company name for soap making. I feel, if you are not going with a personal name you need something that describes your product or ethos to the public.

IMO good names already taken are:
Simply soap
Raw lather
Bath and bubbles
Handmade in Florida

But it is your baby and you have to go with what resonates with you.
You cannot spend “too long” on choosing a company name. It’s important and you will be stuck with it!

Last edited:
(Those that work in the advertizing, how do they do it? :confused:)

The more you do it, the better you get at it, just like anything else. I'm not in the advertising biz but, as a print shop employee, we work with plenty who are and their creativity always amazes me. My son is a graphic designer and HE amazes me. Now, if only I could get him to slow down long enough to design my logo.

Another word I have always liked in relation to bath and body products is Bliss. Blissful Basin - not to confuse the issue more. I guess I like the image/word use of Basin.

Names that are already taken that I love are Soap Jam and The Bar Room. Great Cakes is pretty clever too.

I'm in Texas, but I just moved to the DFW area last summer. Have not had time to go look at any markets, much less scout out competition. And now we are house hunting (again), so what leisure time I had will be spent on that.

Let me know your experience! I too live in DFW, although I am in the process of moving this summer to the east area.

I have been in the stores downtown, and some bazaars, and there are always several soap makers.

I am yet to go to the Canton flea market, but it seems to me there will probably be many there. :(

Back