I never want to line a mold again.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimHartley24

Reaction score
Hi! :DDD

I want to get a new mold, but I am so fed up with the wooden mold that I have now that I really want to switch to something that is 99.9% leak proof (Seriously, the mold I have now has HALF A CENTIMETER of gap where the corners meet!) and doesn't need to be lined. I really want to start making thin-swirled cold process, but only hot process survives the cracks in my mold. I really like the look of the wooden kind that have the white silicone (I think it's silicone, it wobbles like silicone) mold inserted inside... I like the way you can somewhat peel it away and yet it's still all one piece. My dilemma is that I am as rich as vanilla so I don't have a lot of money to spend on a mold and I really don't want to get another dud mold that looks fantastic online but has really imprecise craftsmanship. I like the thought of the molds that have more than one loaf cavity, but again... not a lot of money and those tend to cost more.

I can search online and find an inexpensive mold that looks like heaven, but the best way to find out if they are who they say they are is from y'all. So what are your favorites? What is your proudest buy and which did you think you got the most out of compared to the price paid?

Thank you so much for your help and assistance!! :D

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Pr ... ers+Choice™+Tray+-+12+Rectangles+-+Glossy+Silicone+Mold+1701

This is a slab silicone mold which might be about as inexpensive as you'll get, even though it's not cheap. It won't draw your swirls down the sides of the bars but it gives you the outline of the bars for easier cutting. If someone has a source for a slab mold that's less expensive or better for a good price, I'm sure they'll post it.

Do you know of any loaf molds? I like being able to cut my own... holding the huge log is like holding a child :') And cutting it is like watching them grow up! (And then I guess selling is them getting married :'''])

The most Fabulous mold can be found on Ebay. I wish I could send you the link. Search "soap mold"... Seller is "mrdoright123" ...You get 2 (2-3 lbs) soap molds and a slicer... $61.50..... I love them.... Tried wooden molds and I hate lining... I'll search for a photo...

Found one... Hope it works!
dscn0082y.th.jpg
[/url]
[/img]

I make my own wooden molds and line them with freezer paper. If done correctly, I can pour at thin trace with no leakage. There are lots of threads on here about lining molds.

Good luck, whatever you decide on!

I went to BB&B and bought a silicone mat and cut it down to fit my wooden mold perfectly then I taped it to the sides I have not had to line a mold yet since then and if I need to take it off I can just put it back on and retape it. It's the best money I ever spent. But I'm going silicone next time to see how it works since I have never tried one of those kind before.

~Moonblossom

Prairie Craft, can you please explain why you do not recommend mr doright?
I truly love those molds.... Soap comes right out and look fabulous.... Would definetely order again...

If you can afford it I would rec woodfields silicone moulds.
They r AWESOME.
Well worth the money.
The soap practically slips out of the silicone.
& fantastic service...not a single hitch in my transaction.

HeartToHeart said:
Prairie Craft, can you please explain why you do not recommend mr doright?
I truly love those molds.... Soap comes right out and look fabulous.... Would definetely order again...

There are a few different reasons I didn't like them.
1) The rough plastic caused the soap to stick even when oiled.
2) The rough plastic left imprints on the sides of your bar
3) A pain to put back together
4) Hard to line up pieces to have straight sides
5) Leaks when trying to do thin trace pour
6) The miter box was worthless because the pieces were hard to keep lined up
7) For the price, I could have gotten a few silicone molds

I think that's it, there might be a couple other things that I'm not thinking of right now.

BrambleBerry has a 12 bar silicone mold for 12$ that I like. But I really love the wood loafs. I got very inexpensive, yet good quality ones from candlesandandwoodcraft.com this past year. They actually cost less than my old ones did!

I just looked at the Woodfields molds, they look great but WOW are they expensive! Are there any other reputable companies out there that makes molds like these but more reasonably priced? I am also looking for wooden molds with silicone liner. Thanks!

I know people love their non-stick (silicone and HDPE) molds and for good reason, I'm sure. I haven't had the best experience, so I have a couple of thoughts on this -

1. Make sure you understand the differences between wood, silicone, and HDPE molds. Your soapmaking methods will likely need to change if you switch from wood to silicone or HDPE - the heat retention is totally different. You may need to do some experimenting to figure out how to get the new mold to work for you.

2. Know that sometimes, depending on the complexity of the mold, a "no-stick" (HDPE) mold can end up being more work than simply lining a good old wooden mold. The assembly/disassembly and multiple parts may end up being much more effort that simply lining a good old wooden mold. I say this from experience.

Just my 2 cents - good luck with your purchase!

Lining wooden soap box

I don't know if you have had a chance to read my post regarding lining wooden soap molds. I use part of a plastic bag ( to fit my soap mold). I pour a little water into the soap box make sure bottom and sides are wet and then I put in the piece of plastic, smoothing out the wrinkles. The plastic sticks to the wood and stays there. I make sure it is snug in the corners, takes about 10 seconds to do. Hope you give it a try.

Re: Lining wooden soap box

Cody Wellard said:
I don't know if you have had a chance to read my post regarding lining wooden soap molds. I use part of a plastic bag ( to fit my soap mold). I pour a little water into the soap box make sure bottom and sides are wet and then I put in the piece of plastic, smoothing out the wrinkles. The plastic sticks to the wood and stays there. I make sure it is snug in the corners, takes about 10 seconds to do. Hope you give it a try.
I wonder if this could make your soap mold warp?

Back