I messed up - Can this batch be saved?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtrainMD

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to soap making, having made about 5 batches with more or less success. I've been working with lard and olive oil/castor oil. This particular batch I wanted to try 16 oz of lard, 16 oz olive oil and 4 oz castor oil. Well I totally forgot to put in the castor oil. The lye calculation was about an once more than if I had used the castor oil. I'm assuming the soap is too lye heavy to be usable but I'm curious if that can be re-batched, chunked or otherwise used? The design came out quite nice and I hate to waste the batch.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try that. Of course I'll lose the nice design (I did a pot swirl at a very very thin trace with white, light and dark blue) that resembles clouds. Live and learn from ones mistakes.

If you play around with the SF in Soap calc you will see you've made a soap with -5% SF.
That is not a huge amount.
I would wait and see what the soap does after a 2 month cure.

You can wait it out. The extra lye will go away during cure.

That is quite a bit of castor oil. Most folks use 5%. If you do rebatch, you may want to reduce the amount you had planned. For that sized batch, it would be about 1.8 oz. (off the top of my head, use a calculator)

To prevent myself from doing just this over and over, I check off my ingredients as I weigh them and add them, then before stickblending, I look the recipe over to be sure everything is added in.

I'm going to add that 16 oz batches are ideal for newbies for testing purposes. You waste less resources and you'll have less of a soap you're not crazy about. Unless you are using a mold that is not flexible or something to that extent, You would not have too much issue getting that soap out.

How much lye did you actually use, or maybe I am reading this wrong. You mention an ounce more lye than the recipe called for but 4oz castor only requires 0.5 oz lye. So did you mis- weigh something? No coffee yet this morning so maybe my interpretation of the OP is off. Might be better if you actually post your recipe. A minus 5% superfat may work itself out over a long cure but than a -5 may not

I'm relatively new to soap making, having made about 5 batches with more or less success. I've been working with lard and olive oil/castor oil. This particular batch I wanted to try 16 oz of lard, 16 oz olive oil and 4 oz castor oil. Well I totally forgot to put in the castor oil. The lye calculation was about an once more than if I had used the castor oil. I'm assuming the soap is too lye heavy to be usable but I'm curious if that can be re-batched, chunked or otherwise used? The design came out quite nice and I hate to waste the batch.

There should not be an ounce more if you would have forgotten to use the castor. I don't know what you superfatted for so I am assuming 5% but I will calculate both ways.

(1-SF)*((16 *.141)+(16 *.135)+(4 *.128) = 4.67
(1-SF)*((16 *.141)+(16 *.135) = 4.2
((16 *.141)+(16 *.135)+(4 *.128) = 4.92

@5% 5% w/out Castor 0%
4.67 .oz lye 4.2 .oz lye 4.92 .oz lye

I think if I knew your lye and SF I can tell if it is lye heavy. Hope this helps you.

Edited: I don't know why there are smiley faces? The number is supposed to be .128

Last edited:
Back