Can I save this batch that's missing a small amount of castor oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much for all your advice, everyone!

I didn't use any micas or clays but used eucalyptus essential oil.
I don't like that feeling of being zapped so I think I will wait for several weeks before I try zap-testing and if I do get zapped, I will try rebaching. I have done rebatching before to correct a batch that was missing a rather large amount of olive oil and foud it very labor and time consuming. I vowed never to forget to add any ingredients again but here I am😩 I hope I can avoid it this time!

Thank you all again for your kind advice!
I'm new to soap making, but I've watched some YouTube videos. I've seen ppl grate leftover soaps and make a new batch. Is that what's called rebatching?

I'm new to soap making, but I've watched some YouTube videos. I've seen ppl grate leftover soaps and make a new batch. Is that what's called rebatching?
I suppose grating leftovers and melting them down to make a “new” batch could be called a type of rebatching. However what folks are discussing here is the process of taking a new soap that has some undesirable characteristics, e.g., lye heavy or just plain ugly, and grating them to then melt down in order to add other ingredients. It’s a somewhat messy process and the resulting rebatched soap is usually a bit chunky and never has the smoothness of regular soap.

Last edited:
know people do it, especially lavender, but people do become sensitized to lavender EO, and there's no point in asking for trouble if there are safer and just as effective ways of using EOs. One of the factors that contributes toward a full blown allergy is repeated exposure to high doses.

Not sure why you are repeating me word-for-word (see Post #16) without writing anything more. Did you want to contribute your thoughts in response to what I said, but clicked the "Post reply" button a little too soon? If so, you have a day or so to edit your post and add more if you like.

In any case, welcome! Be sure to introduce yourself in the Introduction forum and tell us a little about yourself and your soap making experiences.

Back