I can't seem to make purple work! I need help!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can you tell? I was under the impression you have to state it's an ultramarine since that's the INCI. Hm. Anywho I've never had a problem with my ultraviolet/ultramarines morphing, so guess I was the wrong person to chime in.

The link I posted shows the product and lists the ingredients as ultramarines.

I called Brambleberry (because they are on the West Coast too so I could get it quick) and I ordered LabColor. It worked like a charm. Here is a pic of the finished Wedding Favor (I did an in the pot swirl)

http://flic.kr/p/f9ZjK4

Last edited:
I read through this entire thread and it seems very weird that violet ultramarine would act this way. I wonder if WSP sent the wrong product by mistake. Ultramarines are normally very stable in CP. At worst, if your base oils are yellowish, it would shift more towards a grayish purple. But not brown, especially if no fragrance were involved.

You should be aware, and this came up in another thread, that sometimes colors will morph initially in the soaping process but will settle down once saponification is complete. However, if the color is new to you, it's best to test it in a small quantity of soap batter first.

I'm glad you got the result you wanted in the end.

I use that exact colorant and have a nice purple color. You do have to use quite a bit compared to the iron oxides, or you'll end up with a greyish sort of color. I'm guessing that it reacted to the fragrance/essential oil or the color of the base (even a warped color from fragrance oil) didn't go so well with a purple color.

I read through this entire thread and it seems very weird that violet ultramarine would act this way. I wonder if WSP sent the wrong product by mistake. Ultramarines are normally very stable in CP. At worst, if your base oils are yellowish, it would shift more towards a grayish purple. But not brown, especially if no fragrance were involved.

You should be aware, and this came up in another thread, that sometimes colors will morph initially in the soaping process but will settle down once saponification is complete. However, if the color is new to you, it's best to test it in a small quantity of soap batter first.

I'm glad you got the result you wanted in the end.

These were my thoughts exactly. I've never had an ultramarine morph on me, so it wasn't making sense.

The finished product turned out lovely by the way, Dame. Nice swirl!

I question them saying the Celestial Colors won't bleed. Generally, all the dyes (Including Labcolors) will bleed. Pigments and oxides don't.

By the way, you can get purple with blue food coloring in CP soap. Blue food coloring is Blue #1, which is most likely the same thing you're going to get in your Labcolor set and Celestial Colors. I suggest reading the ingredients in all colorants and learning what their properties are. The descriptions from suppliers can be confusing.

I also get a nice purple with blue food coloring from Smart & Final

Latest posts

Back