I can see why this is SO addicting...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurie Gator

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I have been playing around with this hobby for a few months. I am still working on reading all of the different threads in the CP forum to try to answer some of my basic questions.

Someday (yeah, that will be a long time off) I am hoping to be able to sell some soaps. I figured that first, I needed a few recipes of my own that I had tested and developed and that work for the climate I live in and the climate of some of my family members. After I got a few recipes that I liked then I could start experimenting with scents - do they change soap color, how well do they keep the scent and any weird possible side reactions that might affect the soap. Last, I figured I would start playing with color and figure out what type of color I would want to use in the soap.

Once I have nailed down most of these variables, I should be ready to start selling soap around the year 2050 :)

Wow, there are so many different variables and so many cool things that you can do to make soap. I am actually trying to find a soap that doesn't dry out my skin in an environment where our humidity is around 12%. When it gets too dry I also start breaking out with patches of eczema on my legs which is really yucky! I experimented with my first "milk soap" yesterday and I am really happy with it so far.

So far, the most fun soap was the "amazing changing egg yolk soap" that turned a really bizarre shade of green then back to a beautiful yellow while it was aging.

I just want to thank everyone in the forum. There have been some excellent information here and I am learning a bunch! Too many fun things to play with and not enough time (or space) to play with them :)

Laurie Gator said:
...So far, the most fun soap was the "amazing changing egg yolk soap" that turned a really bizarre shade of green then back to a beautiful yellow while it was aging. ...

hmmm....did you find that on this forum? I've not read anything like that before and I'm intrigued :?

Laurie, I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the longer you do this, the more addictive it gets!

You learn new techniques, you see stuff other people have done, find new molds, dyes, fragrances, etc. It just builds from there.

The other bad news is that this addiction seems more resistant to treatment than any other known to man! :D

Welcome to the addiction!

Anita

Rubyslippers - nope, I didn't read it on here, this was just my own experience from making an egg yolk soap with eggs from our chickens :)

I am pretty sure that the color change had something to do with the saponification reaction and how it affected the proteins in the egg yolks. It was pretty cool that it went from yellow to green the back to yellow again. During the green color it did get a bit stinky but that also went away! Our "yard dragons" have free run of the place and eat whatever is around in addition to their normal feed. They give us such beautiful yolks in their eggs :)

Latest posts

Back