I am so confused about CP vs HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommyray

Reaction score
The more I learn, the less I know.......geez. I feel embarrassed asking this question, but what is the difference between CP and HP???

If I heat up my mix, then it traces and hardens more quickly. It needs to get glopped into the mold, but I can see how that would be ideal for those pretty peaked tops. If I don't heat up the mix, I get to play around with swirling or just taking longer for therapy (making soap is my stress reliever). But, if it's not heated by my method of mixing/tracing, it heats itself in the mold over several hours while gelling. Soooo...what is the difference, besides being able to play with CP a little longer before putting it in the mold, versus being able to make pretty tops with HP?

This could be a really dumb question. When I first started researching this hobby, it seemed that there was a big quality debate between CP vs HP. Now I am thinking the difference is really about aesthetics.

I was under the impression that with HP you don't have to let it cure as long, but never really knew, and I've never done it myself. If it's purely for looks, it seems kind of pointless to me.

The way I understand it is that HP is "cooked", like in a crockpot with constant, added heat. CP makes its own heat. HP does not need a curing time because the lye is done reacting because of the cooking.

In a nutshell, the difference is this:

With CP you allow the soap to saponify on it's own which can take up to 2-3 days or longer before all of the lye is neutralized.

With HP you apply heat, often in a crock pot but some people use the stove and there is even a method to use your oven. Either way, you add heat to force the soap through saponification so that when you are finished, all of the lye is neutralized.

There is more to it but that's the real difference. To me CP gives you more flexibility (swirling, Gel/No Gel, pouring vs glopping etc). However HP allows you to fix problem batches and is easier to work with when you use problem fragrances. Theoretically HP is safe to use immediately, though a good cure is still recommended.

Both processes have their place.

I agree with gratia. My HP gets a 4 weeks cure right along with my CP. Even though my HP is tongue neutral by the time I pour and is safe to use right out of the mold (as is my CP, as long as it has ceased to zap ), it still needs to cure in order to mature to the best it can be in terms of firmnes, mildness, lathering abilities, and longevity. At least this has been my experience with my own soaps when I've compared them against each other at different benchmarks along the way.

IrishLass :)

I completely agree with both of you. HP needs to cure to be any good. I was just trying to highlight the differences between CP and HP for mommyray.

When talking about saponification, CP takes a couple of days while HP is done when it goes into the mold. But that's not the same as curing. Both CP and HP have liquid that needs to evaporate (a.k.a. curing) and that takes time.

In theory HP is SAFE to use right away but I never do until it has cured at least 3-4 weeks.

gratia said:
xyxoxy said:
I completely agree with both of you. HP needs to cure to be any good. I was just trying to highlight the differences between CP and HP for mommyray.

When talking about saponification, CP takes a couple of days while HP is done when it goes into the mold. But that's not the same as curing. Both CP and HP have liquid that needs to evaporate (a.k.a. curing) and that takes time.

In theory HP is SAFE to use right away but I never do until it has cured at least 3-4 weeks.

What you said :)

+2

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back