I’m loosing my mind!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dear soap-friends,
I need some clarifying because I’m going nuts! I’ve been soaping for YEARS, no issues. I’ve been trying different brands, all without issues too. Recently I decided to get Bulkapothecary’s coconut oil and WholesaleSupplies sodium hydroxide. I’ve not used either before but HEY - they’re pro wholesalers and their products are GOOD!! However, since I started using the apothecary coconut oil and the wholesalesupplies lye - my soaps (CP) are just NOT working! They get that applesauce like consistency and never hardens! I AM LOOSING IT I’ve trashed several batches! If you have any suggestions or thoughts at all- I’d love to hear them, thank you so much!! Xoxo

WSP is not a cold process company. They definitely focus more on m&p or “quick start” projects. As a result I feel that their lye hangs out too long in the warehouse.

The first time I bought lye was through WSP. It wasn’t bad but my next purchase was from Brambleberry and it was a world of difference. I would honestly believe the lye is just a bit too old, if only because WSP probably moves everything else in their warehouse faster

It sounds to me like you got a batch batch of lye. Maybe you can do a test batch with another brand of lye, but still using the CO, to see if you can narrow down which product is giving you the problem.
Thank you - I think you’re right. My first thought was it had to be the coconut oil, it never occurred to me that lye could be “bad” - but of course it can! I’ll try with a different batch of lye! Thank you!!

WSP is not a cold process company. They definitely focus more on m&p or “quick start” projects. As a result I feel that their lye hangs out too long in the warehouse.

The first time I bought lye was through WSP. It wasn’t bad but my next purchase was from Brambleberry and it was a world of difference. I would honestly believe the lye is just a bit too old, if only because WSP probably moves everything else in their warehouse faster
I agree - I’ve punched lye all kinds of other places before and it was never an issue. Thank you so much, I’m definitely going to try with another lye! Thank you!

Back