I’m loosing my mind!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My dear soap-friends,
I need some clarifying because I’m going nuts! I’ve been soaping for YEARS, no issues. I’ve been trying different brands, all without issues too. Recently I decided to get Bulkapothecary’s coconut oil and WholesaleSupplies sodium hydroxide. I’ve not used either before but HEY - they’re pro wholesalers and their products are GOOD!! However, since I started using the apothecary coconut oil and the wholesalesupplies lye - my soaps (CP) are just NOT working! They get that applesauce like consistency and never hardens! I AM LOOSING IT I’ve trashed several batches! If you have any suggestions or thoughts at all- I’d love to hear them, thank you so much!! Xoxo

WSP is not a cold process company. They definitely focus more on m&p or “quick start” projects. As a result I feel that their lye hangs out too long in the warehouse.

The first time I bought lye was through WSP. It wasn’t bad but my next purchase was from Brambleberry and it was a world of difference. I would honestly believe the lye is just a bit too old, if only because WSP probably moves everything else in their warehouse faster

It sounds to me like you got a batch batch of lye. Maybe you can do a test batch with another brand of lye, but still using the CO, to see if you can narrow down which product is giving you the problem.
Thank you - I think you’re right. My first thought was it had to be the coconut oil, it never occurred to me that lye could be “bad” - but of course it can! I’ll try with a different batch of lye! Thank you!!

WSP is not a cold process company. They definitely focus more on m&p or “quick start” projects. As a result I feel that their lye hangs out too long in the warehouse.

The first time I bought lye was through WSP. It wasn’t bad but my next purchase was from Brambleberry and it was a world of difference. I would honestly believe the lye is just a bit too old, if only because WSP probably moves everything else in their warehouse faster
I agree - I’ve punched lye all kinds of other places before and it was never an issue. Thank you so much, I’m definitely going to try with another lye! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back