Hydrogenated soy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumpvalley

Reaction score
I am looking for a soy wax to use. I have only read about AKO soy 415 or golden foods 100% soy 415 . Does anyone know if wholesale supplies Crafters choice (candelilla) 100% pure soy be subbed. It is advertised as cosmetic grade.

Candelilla is not soy wax. It's harder than soy. It's closer to Beeswax. But I'm not sure exactly what your question is as you have it listed like it's soy so I may be misunderstanding.

Oh, oh, you are right. Searched site for soy. I read resuts wrong. I read 100% and skipped. That product is good for lip balm makes sense too. Soy 415 is the only soy product made useable for soap?

I suppose that it could be called something else. Just confirm with the vendor/manufacturer that its 100% hydrgenated soy w/o additives.

Last edited:
The 415 wax is called by other names by some vendors. I believe the original vendor who gave it that name is Golden Foods or Golden Wax or something like that, but am not sure that is correct. What you want is hydrogenated soy wax with a melting point somewhere within the range of about 120 - 125° F. I have included a couple of links for suitable vendors. I have used the Akosoy product from Amazon with good results in my soap.

Golden Wax 415 soy wax from Candle Science

Akosoy 415 soy wax from Amazon

Thank you for the links. Soy is a staric acid alternative to Palm oil. I agree with the substitute reason. Can I ask you what percentage you use. I've read anywhere between 3% - 16% per batch. I am asking so I calculate how much to buy to save on per oz. price

Thank you for the links. Soy is a staric acid alternative to Palm oil. I agree with the substitute reason. Can I ask you what percentage you use. I've read anywhere between 3% - 16% per batch. I am asking so I calculate how much to buy to save on per oz. price

I use 40% cuz I like a hard bar. Decide ur desired hardness factor in the calc and adjust accordingly .

I spelled stearic wrong.
Wow, you must go thru it! So, how much CO do you use? If you don't mind me asking. Read that is good to offset the soy with solubility and lather.

Dean, thank you so much for sharing your recipe. And, thank you for the website link.
Nice.

I use 20% soy wax 415 in my soap, along with 20% - 15% coconut oil depending on my recipe. I also use about 10 - 15% Shea butter, and then the rest is soft oils ( usually 20% olive, 15% rice bran, 10-15% either avocado or apricot kernel, and 5 - 10% castor)

I tend to use at least 30% soy wax, but that is not written in stone. I am still open to experimentation with different oil mixtures. I am not particularly fond of CO, so don't use it all recipes. Within a soy soap recipe, I have used it as low as 10% and as high as 16% depending on the other oils in the mix.

The 415 wax is called by other names by some vendors. I believe the original vendor who gave it that name is Golden Foods or Golden Wax or something like that, but am not sure that is correct. What you want is hydrogenated soy wax with a melting point somewhere within the range of about 120 - 125° F. I have included a couple of links for suitable vendors. I have used the Akosoy product from Amazon with good results in my soap.

Golden Wax 415 soy wax from Candle Science

Akosoy 415 soy wax from Amazon

The Golden Wax range of waxes (GW in GW415) was originally made by Golden Foods.
The brand was sold to the American company, AAK, in 2011
(https://www.candyindustry.com/articles/84027-aak-acquires-golden-foods-golden-brands)

The wax range named "Akosoy" is also owned by AAK (the GoldenFoods acquisition gave them 2 manufacturing sites)
GoldenWax 415 (GW415) is labelled Akosoy415 on the 50lb boxes, according to Candlescience
(https://www.candlescience.com/wax/golden-brands-415-soy-wax)

The American manufacturer of the Golden Brand soy wax, AAK, mentions on their website that a non-GMO version is available
(They are a bulk manufacturer - smaller orders are likely to be directed to a wholesaler/retailer/distributer such as CandleScience or similar)
https://aak.com/applications/technical-products/candles/golden-wax/

Thank you so much for all of your responses. That is what my next question was going to be. If there are any non GMO. I am not anti hybrid although I seek to avoid them. I am in the middle of the farming here in Wisconsin and soy is heavily sprayed with lots of Dupont dangerous chemicals.

The soy I buy to eat does not come from here. In fact, even though tons of soy beans are grown here, none of it grown for human consumption, which really surprised me when I moved here. Finding soybeans for sale anywhere around here is nigh on to impossible, in fact. Apparently in this part of mid-west soy beans are not considered people food as much as it was where I come from. It's not even sold in the health food stores around here, at least not the ones I shop. So I stock up when I travel West. I sometimes make my own tofu using soy beans, so buying soy beans that haven't been drenched in pesticides has always been a concern for me.

Here is an interesting report on nonGMO soybeans planting in the US: https://non-gmoreport.com/articles/mar09/farmers_planting_non-gmo_soybeans.php

As far as non-GMO soy wax. Some say there is no such thing, but I do believe that this will change as the trend to move away from genetically modified soy beans continues, so I expect some of you will see it in the future. However, that may take some decades and I may not be around long enough to benefit. So for now, I use what is available.

Info from EcoSoy re: non-GMO soy wax: https://www.ecosoyabrands.com/supportresource.html#organic-gmo

I am probably not far behind you. I may not see it either. A very encouraging article, thank you.
I have another question. It may have already been answered somewhere. Has anyone ever tried adding blueing to a hard coconut bar for laundry?

The kind that would be shredded to mix with borax or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
The weird thing is, on the candle creations website (in NZ) it says for GW415, GMO: No. the fact sheet appears to be directly from Golden Wax. Do you think this is true? I sincerely doubt it, but if it is, then YAY!

ETA: sorry it actually says GMO free: Yes. https://www.candlecreations.co.nz/product/soy-wax-gw415/

That would be a bit exciting, if they are importing the GMO free version!
Can you call them to check?

Latest posts

Back