Hunting soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapwn

Reaction score
image.jpg

As the hunting season approaches, I thought to make a soap bar for the hunt.

Some times in winter, being on the mountains I have to do some dirty work with the prey (you really don’t want to know the details). In that case I find myself having to wash my very dirty hands in a water source with very cold water at a low temperature environment.

This bar must be small in order to have it on my.

It must be very soft. Hard bar will take time to create lather and I get icy fingers. It must be quick.

It must create lather immediately for the same reasons above.

It must be very cleansing and quick cleaner. I really don’t care about conditioning at that particular moment.

So I thought to follow this recipe:

Tallow 40%

Coconut oil 40%

Castor oil 10%

Palm oil 10%

NaOH/KOH = 60/40

5% superfat with adding extravirgin olive oil at trace

I am also thinking to add some dried coriander at trace. It may help the lather removing fat from my hands when washing, but I am not sure about this :confused:

image.jpg

What about a 100% coconut bar? I am not sure it will meet all your requirements, but it should lather quickly (won't it?) and you can make it the size you want, and it cuts grease and oil. I haven't used 100% CO soap much, but I have always read that it cuts grease/oil best.

Very good idea Kansas Farm Girl! Thank you!

Maybe a 100% coconut oil bar is what I need. Or maybe something like 85% coconut oil and 15% tallow. I will think about it.

That's not soft. But soft and good lather don't go together anyway.
Adding tallow would cut the lather.
I'd go for 100% coconut with 15 to 20% superfat.
Hunters soap is often scented with anise essential oil.

Thank you dagmar88!

But why do you say that soft bar and good lather do not go together?
A soft bar creates lather faster than a hard bar. That's why i prefer it in this case.

And it will become soft if i wish to:

NaOH/KOH = 60/40

It could, with babassu; but that's usually too expensive to use in large amounts.
Other than that, nothing lathers better than coconut and palm kernal.
Have you ever tried making bar soap with that percentage of KOH?

Latest posts

Back