hubby says stop!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hadn't even thought about insurance, but it makes since.
Hrmmm... I might have to start doing some research on that. Unless someone in Cali can point me in the right direction.

It's crazy how I can see someone suing a flea market vendor but if they bought their soap at a store and it gave them a rash all they would do is return it or throw it away!

xyxoxy said:
I'm in a similar situation... I either need to start making a little of my money back or stop buying so many supplies :)

My church is having a flea market in May and I was thinking about adding a small rack of my soaps to my table. I wouldn't expect to make much more than $100 so if I had to spend money on insurance I doubt it would be worth it.

I do take great care in testing my soaps for PH and I use each batch myself so I am very confident that no one would have any reason to sue for any LEGITIMATE reason. Still... can't shake the worry of that one person who might think it is my fault that they didn't read a label.

I also ph test my soap, but somoeone told me this isnt accurate? i do it anyway.

Bigmoose said:
Here is a link for insurance that caters to home based buisness. The up side is they are cheap. The down side is they won't cover you once your sales go over $5K in a year. It is a good starter insurance.

https://www.insuremyhomebiz.com/index.asp

Have a great day!

Bruce
Big moose
Thanks, i did call them, it is 165 a yr, , which i guess if i do a few craft sales i will make back, if not though kinda spendy, anyone know of any cheaper places?

In the future, I'd like to start selling my soap. My testers have asked me to sell them logs. I do enjoy making soap, but after about 3 logs, I'm tired and would like to be compensated for my time. Also, the costs of the ingredients. One can't produce soap without money and ingredients.

I would like to begin off on a very small scale. I'm talking word of mouth. But, a point has been made. What about when you're just giving it away and your friend gives it to their friend? Why aren't we panicked about that? So what, if they haven't paid for it. This can be said about anything that we make and give away, including food. If someone wants a log of soap, I'm charging. If I'm going public, I'll think insurance.

Having insurance & doing things the right way ( EX: a resell permit) is not panic, it's smart. Selling even single bar of soap w/o insurance is the equivalent to drinking & driving. Chances are you won't get caught, chances are you won't hurt anyone.... but God help you if you do.

Big moose
Thanks, i did call them, it is 165 a yr, , which i guess if i do a few craft sales i will make back, if not though kinda spendy, anyone know of any cheaper places?

That is a great price. Isn't the soap guild over twice that much?

Tabitha said:
Big moose

That is a great price. Isn't the soap guild over twice that much?

soap guild is very spendy, for bigger business i think.

I agree on the insurance and business license if you plan on selling it. I sell at a local farmers market and they require it. On good weeks we can sell over $200 worth of soap at 3 to 4 dollars a bar....thats a lot of soap

Back