How long in the mould

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ananke

Reaction score
Hi there, newbie question for you experienced soapers.

This is my second soap and I used a recipe I found online and ran it through a lye calculator.

OO 14oz (calendula infused)
CO 8oz
PO 5oz

Water 9 fl oz
NaOH 3.8 oz

I made this about 6hrs ago and it is now quite firm, I can put a dent in it with my thumb if I push hard.

My question is, how long should I leave it in the mould for?

The recipe didn't say.

I think it's usually 24 hours, but it depends on the recipe too, sometimes it needs to be longer. If you need to press hard to make a dent I guess you could take it out... As long as it stays in its shape I'd say you're good to go!

I usually leave my soaps for 2 days. Even after 2 days the bottom are still soft. Then again, it varies from 1 recipe to the other.

Thank you for your replies. I was worried that it would be too hard to cut but decided just to go for the 24hrs and it was absolutely fine.

Feeling quite proud of it, I grew and dried the calendula myself and was a bit nervous that I would mess it up.

I used a pringles tube for the mould and it looks great, curing it now and planning a comfrey soap next :)

Generally 18-24 hours for me. I use full water to allow for play time for swirls etc. I also use sodium lactate which helps make it a harder bar for unmolding. I use silicone lined loaf molds.

When u used pringles can, did u line it or did u put some oil? And how did cover the pringles can?

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I cut off the metal rim on the bottom and then cover it with plastic wrap and tape it really well. Then I put the plastic cap on that. I line the pringles can with freezer paper as I've had it react with the can itself the first time I did it. Also, don't fill it to the top as the few times I've done it it seems to get pretty hot and will sometimes rise up a bit.

I cut the bottom off too, I also put a plastic lid from another can on the bottom and taped it well.

I sprayed the inside of the can with a spray oil and lined it with baking paper, the oil helps the paper to stick to the inside of the can. Once the soap is poured into the can, I put the plastic lid on top.

It was my first time trying this and worked out really well

Back