how do l make soap from liquid glycerine glyerol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Reaction score
hello all!!

Wondered if any one could help a newbie!!!!

I have been given a gallon of vegatable based glycerine glyerol and wondered how l go about making soap from it! as l can't find a recipe anywhere!!

Any help would be much appricated

Tim

I am going to watch this post for answers, cuz I also have a gallon of glycerine I don't know what to do with....I bought it as a gift for a florist friend, who likes to dip eucalyptus leaves in it, and sell them as a bunch. They keep longtime, look great, smell good. But she already had bought a gallon, told me to keep it for soapmaking.

but I don't have euc leaves....so I was thinking to add some as an ingredient to my usual soap base, wondering if anyone ever tried this.

Maybe I'll have to just do it, and report back. Have you ever added any glycerine at all to your soap base, Terry?....or were you hoping to make soap from it entirely?

Are you talking about a bio diesel waste product? or regular vegetable glycerin?

Hey Tim, I just did a Google search entitled: "can you make soap from glycerin?" and this recipe came up. But it's bio-diesel glycerin, mine isn't. Wonder if it will work....

Coconut Oil Enhanced Bar Soap
Coconut Oil Bar

50oz NaOH Glycerin Byproduct 24% SAP)
14oz Coconut Oil

1.7oz NaOH for the Glycerin Byproduct (24% SAP)
2.6oz NaOH for Coconut Oil

9oz Distilled Water

1oz scent of your choice

Optional: 1T sodium lactate powder added to caustic solution.

A 24% biodiesel glycerin SAP value was used in formulating this recipe.

Use the biodiesel kit tutorial and video to cold process this recipe.
Notes:

* Your SAP may very -- Please obtain a SAP specific to your glycerin and always check the final pH of your soap.
* This recipe can be hot processed (HP) or cold processed (CP).
* Soap may be pasty at pour time if hot processing, sodium lactate can be used to help with pourability.

It also has a shea-butter enhanced recipe instead of coconut oil...check it out here: http://www.knicenclean.com/recipes/rksoap106b.html

no, it's not a biodiesel bi-product, it came from a reputable supplier of soap making supplies

Tim

tim said:
no, it's not a biodiesel bi-product, it came from a reputable supplier of soap making supplies

Tim
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can make soap from just that without more oils and lye.

Biodiesel glycerin has unsaponified fatty acids which are why it can be soaped.

Does anyone know the SAP value of glycerin?

and there are other products being advertised as 'body washes' which contain only glycerin, scent and color, sometimes a bit of oil. Interesting!

I also have an older ex-hippie neighbour who told me that he uses straight glycerine to wash with, instead of soap, that he and his family have been doing this for years. Even more interesting!

Woodi said:
I also have an older ex-hippie neighbour who told me that he uses straight glycerine to wash with, instead of soap, that he and his family have been doing this for years. Even more interesting!

That explains the old linguering odor of patchouli. :lol:

Sorry. I go back a long long way and remember the smell of patchouli everywhere. I dislike it because every time someone walks by wearing it I flash back to the 60s. Contrary to popular belief the 60s weren't all that great. Great music though.

Woodi said:
You're right, carebear!!! silly me.

I've had people selling MP soap tell me that their soaps are 100% Glycerin (plus color and fragrance), and insist that their base supplier tells them this. They honestly believe they are making soap from what is pure glycerin. I tell them that this cannot be and they don't believe me.

Many people that buy (& a few that sell) glycerin soap believe their soap is 100% glycerin. It's all over etsy, ebay, artfire etc. They list their ingredients as 'glycerin, color, fragrance'. Many people do believe that chunk of M&P base they buy is 100% solid glycerin.

The Queen said:
Many people that buy (& a few that sell) glycerin soap believe their soap is 100% glycerin. It's all over etsy, ebay, artfire etc. They list their ingredients as 'glycerin, color, fragrance'. Many people do believe that chunk of M&P base they buy is 100% solid glycerin.

And those are the people that I would never buy from

Genny said:
The Queen said:

True Genny.

Those are the people that make it rough on everyone else too. I can see them sitting at a craft show explaining how their soap is 100% glycerin. People will buy that soap, or at least take that 'learned' info and at the next show ask other soapmakers if their soap is 100% glycerin insisiting it should be because the last bar they bought was.

Ug!

And if you believe that I have some ocean front property to sell you (I live in AZ).
No, to answer your question No you can't make soap with just glycerin. It is a humectant and is created when making soap. The commercial companies sell off the glycerin after they make their 'soap'. It is used in lotions and synthetic (not real soap) products or syndet products.

As someone asked about adding it to M&P soap, you probably could but I bet it would make it mushy and it would really make it sweat.

I'm thinking of trying (for myself, not to sell) straight liquid glycerin in a pump bottle, with essential oil and a titch of almond oil or grapeseed oil, maybe some aloe vera and witch hazel too. I'll try it for a week and see how my hands feel. Just for hands initially. Will report back after that.

carebear said:
tim said:

Tim
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can make soap from just that without more oils and lye.

Biodiesel glycerin has unsaponified fatty acids which are why it can be soaped.

If the reaction is complete there should not bt too much fatty acids left in the glycerol. Ther is however, depending on the quality of the oil, actual soap in the glycerol. I have made soap from my own bio by-product and it cleans like nobody's business

Tabitha said:
Genny said:
The Queen said:

True Genny.

Those are the people that make it rough on everyone else too. I can see them sitting at a craft show explaining how their soap is 100% glycerin. People will buy that soap, or at least take that 'learned' info and at the next show ask other soapmakers if their soap is 100% glycerin insisiting it should be because the last bar they bought was.

Ug!

I'm not sure where my sister came up with the glycerin soap idea (she usually buys from a local company that makes "real" soap like we do), but when I started making soap she insisted it had to be pure glycerin. I educated her and now she's using my soap and quite happy with it :D I think a handout for other soapers to give out to help others unlearn this stupidity would be helpful at craft shows, farmer's markets, etc.

Latest posts

Back