have liquid glycerine - how to use it to make soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy2018

Reaction score
Hi, I have liquid glycerine - and was wondering how to use it to make soap.

I did an internet search and search on the board and a lot of what I am getting is
- using melt and pour soap
- or talk about glycerine rivers / content in soap

I am not sure about the search terms I am using, but does anyone know about how to do this, or give hints on what search terms I should use?

Thanks

I don’t think it is possible To make soap out of glycerine, it is the other way around, Glycerine is a byproduct of the process of making soap, for which you need oils, lye and water. ”Glycerin soap” is a misnomer, glycerin being only a small ingredient of it, and that term is often used to refer to melt and pour soap. You can read more about it here.

And "glycerin" rivers aren't really glycerin. So that's another misnomer.

Extra glycerin isn't normally used when making bar soap (soap made with NaOH). Glycerin can be used as a solvent when making transparent soap. Melt-and-pour soap is a type of transparent soap. Glycerin can also be used when making liquid soap. But not so much for regular bar soap.

In my own experiment adding glycerin to a regular soap bar killed the lather compared to without, but I heard the advice related to shaving soap, so maybe those people might have more insight into how to use it properly.

You could try using it in a lotion instead

Thank you everyone for answering, you have given me much to rethink.

I was wondering about:

DeeAnna said: "Glycerin can also be used when making liquid soap"​

This sounds interesting.

Can you point me in the direction of more to read about this?

Thank you Kindly

It's not hard. Liquid soap is made with potassium hydroxide (KOH). You dissolve the KOH in water that is equal in weight to the weight of KOH. You can use more water if you want, but not less.

Then add sufficient glycerin to the KOH and water solution. You want the total weight of water + glycerin is equal to the weight of water called for in the recipe.

It's fun to make transparent soap with it. I did it for the first time this past weekend (it's one of four or five additional chemicals you need to use to make the transparent soap).

Easy DIY Clear Soap

Easy Transparent Soap- Learn How to Make DIY Clear Soap in Less than Ten Minutes!

PXL_20230718_002844239.jpg

Thank you DeeAnna !

Jorah, that is a beautiful mold !!

I did take a look at the recipe, but it uses anti-freeze, that is what propylene glycol is.

Thank you DeeAnna !

I did take a look at the recipe, but it uses anti-freeze, that is what propylene glycol is.
Yes, it isn't a recipe that would ever pass anybody's 'natural ingredient list' test. I have always just been curious about clear soap and I wanted to try making some as a novelty.

Thank you DeeAnna !

No, propylene glycol is not antifreeze. (Antifreeze is ethylene glycol, and metabolized differently).

The two are related but propylene glycol is not toxic to the skin or orally the way antifreeze is.

Remember too that "natural" is not the same thing as safe. Smallpox, E. coli, botulism are natural.. Foxglove and many other garden plants are natural .. and toxic ... as are Uranium, cyanide, arsenic, lead.

Many colorants used in soap such as clays & oxides have to be industrially refined in order to remove heavy metals to make them safe for use.

Now back to the pretty clear soap :)

Wow

That sounds amazing.

Thank you

I would have to find a subsitute for the SLSA -- allergies

Latest posts

Back