how do I wax warmers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivcarm

Reaction score
How do I make wax warmers? You can buy a jar full of this soft waxy type stuff that you place on a heat pad, and once melted an aroma is given off. I would love to make some for my Mam, but have no idea where to start, can you help?

Here in the US we call these wax tarts or melts. I use fluted tart molds and pour my melted wax in them and let them set up. Don't know where you get the molds in Scotland but they should be available at a kitchen supply store, craft store, or candle making supply store.

The tarts hold about 1 oz of wax. So if you are making a pound of wax you will want about 16-18 tart molds.

Its best to use a pillar or votive blend to make the tarts. I like using palm wax because I love the crystal patterns the wax makes. The amount of fragrance you use per lb of wax will depend on the wax you use but generally you should be able to use 1 oz per lb of wax. Melt the wax according to the suppliers or wax manufacturers suggestions, add your fragrance and dye and pour into the molds to set up. Then pop them out when they are completely cooled. Then pop one into a tart warmer. When it melts it should fill the room with fragrance. They are easy and fun to make. Have fun!

I know what you mean, but I don't think it's the same thing, when it's set you can poke you finger very easily into them. Would just candle wax work just as well do you think - as the heat from the pad is not as high as a flame? The jars are about 18cm high and 10 cm wide, so not as small as a wax tart.

vivcarm said:
I know what you mean, but I don't think it's the same thing, when it's set you can poke you finger very easily into them. Would just candle wax work just as well do you think - as the heat from the pad is not as high as a flame? The jars are about 18cm high and 10 cm wide, so not as small as a wax tart.

It sound like it was some type of wickless jar candle. As far as the wax being soft. Was it translucent? That would probably be some sort of gel candle wax. Or was it just soft and opaque? Then I'd guess it was a soy/paraffin blend container wax like IGI 6006 or candlewic's CBL-130. The container blends are very soft and you could put your finger through it if you press too hard.

I never seen a wickless gel candle but don't see why you couldn't make one but you have to careful what fragrances you use. They have to be non-polar.

But with a soy/para blend you can use any type of FO and they throw very well. Plus this wax is usually less expensive then the gel.

HTH,
Jacqui

Thanks for your reply, what do you mean by non-polar? I don't make candles so it's all double dutch. :D

vivcarm said:
Thanks for your reply, what do you mean by non-polar? I don't make candles so it's all double dutch. :D

It's has to do with the combustible properties of the oil. If you use a polar fragrance from what I understand the whole ball of gel wax can ignite. Basically if you purchase candle fragrance oil and you want to make gel candles make sure the FO is gel safe. A reputable candle supplier will let know if it is or isn't

You are wanting to make what we call "wickless candles."

Before you atemp any sort of candle venture you need to do some reading or you could harm yourself or others.

You can start here: http://wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Learni ... rance.aspx There is good info on types of wax, types of wicks, saftey issues and more.

Does anyone else have a good basic site the OP could read before egining this process?

Back