Wick size - please advise

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyal

Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone please tell me - according to the attached photo - does this candle has too thick or too thin wick?
The wax is just about to drip off.
I did some experiments with flat braided cotton wicks: 18, 24, 30 and 36 ply and it actually behaved similar for all: the wax melts and sometimes drip.

And also: For a candle with more fragrance (essential oils), in general, shall I wick up or down?
And for a candle with more color, shall I wick up or down?

Some technical details (though I don't think it has to do with my questions):
Kerasoy 4120 (70%), white beeswax (30%)
Lot of color as you can see
About 1% essential oils
Candle diameter is 13 mm
Wick is flat braided cotton.

Thanks in advance,
Eyal

Forum.JPG

Wick is flat braided cotton.
What size of flat braid is it?

For my tapers I use a 15-18 flat braid, use paraffin wax mixed with stearic and rarely get dripping, unless the taper has somehow cooled crooked (I only make hand-dipped tapers).
Looks like you are using a soy wax blend which will most likely be a very soft wax and will need an extra hardener no matter what size wick you use.

HTH
Best Regards,

Thank you for the replies!
I wrote all details I could about this candle. I did tested 4 sizes: 18, 24, 30, 36 ply, and there was no big difference. MAYBE the 36 dripped a little less. does it make sense to use a larger wick in this case?
Or shall I try to mix with higher percentage of beeswax as Jcandleattic suggest?

Latest posts

Back