How’s my recipe looking?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thought would be
20% CO
35-40% Palm Olein
30-35% HO Sunflower Oil
5% Castor Oil
10% butter if you want to add some but it is not necessary. Adjust above numbers
RBO is not necessary and will darken the color. Personally, I do not like RBO but that is me. I love Sunflower in soap. I use 40% Palm Oil in my vegan soaps and looking at the fatty acid profile there is not a huge difference between the Olein and Regular Palm. If you go with 40% Palm or Palm Olein I would recommend a 30% Lye concentration if you want to do swirls and keeping the castor oil at 5% or less. Castor accelerates trace even with a 2% difference. High CO soaps are very soluble and will not last long, which is why they lather in salt water.

I did an exact one a few days ago (minus the Butters). HO Sunflower helped me get some nice drop swirl.

What happens if we use Palmolein over 40%? I used 45% yesterday (along with RBO, CO and Castor.)

It should be fine if you go over 40%, just experiment with a smallish batch. It may give you a slightly waxy bar but I would try it if the Palm Olein is readily available and inexpensive. It is so much better to work out a nice bar of soap with oils you have that are readily available and low cost. My favorite soft/liquid oils are HO Canola or even regular Canola at 20% or less, HO Sunflower, Sweet Almond, Safflower, and Avocado if any are an affordable price. Even here AVO is pricey so I do not use it in a lot of soaps.

I believe that too.. Palm Olein is very inexpensive here, so that’s good. Thank you :)

Latest posts

Back