Hot process issue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biarine

Reaction score
I am doing hot process for 6 months now but my last batch separates into oily things. It takes a lot longer to trace, I don't have any idea why. This is my recipe

70% OO
10% CO
10% PO
10% castor oil

38% water discount
0% SF

Why a 0% sf? And also, that's a lot of castor with very little hard oils. The high OO/Castor content is likely why it takes so long to trace. As to why it separated, I have no clue. More info would be needed.

I've had a few HP batches separate, it seemed to be from cooking too hot. Once it cooled some, I hit it with the SB and it came back together.

Does it separate during the cook? If so, my high olive oil recipes will tend to do that when I HP sometimes and I just use a whisk and whisk it all back together and its just fine.

Why a 0% sf? And also, that's a lot of castor with very little hard oils. The high OO/Castor content is likely why it takes so long to trace. As to why it separated, I have no clue. More info would be needed.

I used them for cleaning.

Looks harmless enough..............

.....was anything else different? Temps, times? Old lye? No goat sacrificed to the soap gods?

Absolutely no sacrifice about temperature I used 37 centigrade both and a new lye from home essential and it's all the same recipe . Maybe it's true what people said that soaping can be unpredictable.

Yes it separates during cooking. What I did I stick blended them again and it's repaired but I just wonder if someone has the same encounter like I am. I did not put any scent because it's only for cleaning.

Maybe one of my oil has issue because I stick blended the soap batter for almost 20 minutes before it reach medium trace. I made a lot of castile soap but It never takes 20 minutes to reach a trace before. The maximum I did before was 8 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back