Homemade facial soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PirateGirl686

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm interested in making a homemade facial soap that will help fight acne and help prevent wrinkles...does anyone already have a recipe for a bar like this that is working well? Or perhaps you can guide me as to what I should include in the bar? I was thinking lavender and tea tree essential oils to help with acne, any good essential oils that help prevent wrinkles and skin aging? What about activated charcoal? What oils and butters do you recommend? Thank everyone for your input!

tea tree sounds like a good idea for its anti bacterial properties. so does activated charcoal (pore cleaning). i would stay away from high comedogenic oils, so that people with sensitive skin can also enjoy your soap (lists are available widely in the www), such as coconut oil.

my fave facial soap contains lanolin, goatmilk, and egg. the lather is amazingly soft.

Isg, do you have any recommendations for a lotion/Creme? I've never made one before....

Check out www.swiftcraftymonkey.com she has some excellent tips and recipes for lotions and all things B&B. I agree a lotion would be better for wrinkles. However, tea tree and activated charcoal with a bit of lavender are wonderful in facial bars.

The problem with any treatment for acne (drying, astringent) is going to be hard on wrinkles (where you want moisturizing ) and vice versa.

I do however have a couple of suggestions. As an almost 50 year old person who actually does face acne and wrinkles, I like salt or clay soaps. Salt seems to clear up acne, and the high superfat is nice for wrinkles. Same for clay soaps. Activated charcoal is lovely too. As far as EO's - frankincense is supposed to be very good for skin. I would try something like tea tree / lavender / frankincense.

I've made a bar like Soap Queens Charcoal and Rose clay - but in CP, and its fabulous and I need to make more.

For my acne, I've found that actually alternating between different bars is best. I have a salt bar with lavender EO that I use every other day, and on the other days, I use a different bar. One of six homemade bars currently in my bath tub.

Hey everyone! I'm interested in making a homemade facial soap that will help fight acne and help prevent wrinkles...does anyone already have a recipe for a bar like this that is working well? Or perhaps you can guide me as to what I should include in the bar? I was thinking lavender and tea tree essential oils to help with acne, any good essential oils that help prevent wrinkles and skin aging? What about activated charcoal? What oils and butters do you recommend? Thank everyone for your input!

I would think that a lotion or cream would do more for softening the look of wrinkles than soap.

I agree with this statement, a lotion, cream or butter would do more for aging skin. I think a high quality soap goes a long way -- but won't do as much as a leave on product. You could look into "essential oils for aging skin" and stack a soap + body butter type product with those essential oils inside. My favorite soaps for the face are with dead sea mud or clay's involved.

Here is a basic body butter recipe: welness mamma

I got interesting in cp soap again after seeing a pin on Pinterest from Lovin Soap for a facial bar. I haven't made it yet though.

bubbles.jpg

Charcoal facial bar with mango, avocado and babassu

Pirate, I just made a facial bar. It's curing so I am not sure how it will be, but attached is the recipe.

I know many people think more than 4 oils is overkill, and in general I agree, but I feel the face is so sensitive it's the one exception. If HP a facial soap I think you can use the superfat to impart good oils onto the skin. For this bar I superfatted watermelon, apricot, seabuckthorn, and rosehip as they are known as great for skin. I used avocado (wrinkles) for the base rather than olive oil, put in some shea butter, etc. So all these had a purpose and I really felt I needed this many oils to properly clean and moisturize my face. I also added a little clay to exfoliate. I didn't want much fragrance in a facial bar and let the natural scent of seabuckthorn and laurel shine through.

It will depend on your skin type. If you have any questions why I used a certain oil just ask. But base your recipe around your skin type and then the oil properties. I'd also recommend HP for a facial soap because you really do want to control the SF.

Based on what you wrote, I think you should look into watermelon, avocado, seabuckthorn, and laurel. They will fight acne and help with wrinkles. The idea of putting a charcoal or clay into your soap makes sense to me, too.

facesoap 3.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Pirate, the charcol works great with oily skin, my skin is very sensitive I found the olive oil works wonderful for me. Also alo vera jell is great for againg and wrinckles, if you are makingthe soap for personal use I would use the natural jell directly from the plant, but if you want to sell it, I would buy the powder just to produce a long lasting bar.
Calandula is great for the skin, too.

I like salt bars for my acne and also find activated charcoal really helps. I then find using a decent moisturiser after cleansing helps to keep lines and wrinkles at bay and also helps reduce oil production. I suffered with pretty severe acne for many years before I realised that good moisturiser was key, I kept washing with all sorts of harsh detergents thinking they would solve the problem not realising that they were making things much worse.

I like salt bars for my acne and also find activated charcoal really helps. I then find using a decent moisturiser after cleansing helps to keep lines and wrinkles at bay and also helps reduce oil production. I suffered with pretty severe acne for many years before I realised that good moisturiser was key, I kept washing with all sorts of harsh detergents thinking they would solve the problem not realising that they were making things much worse.

Do you make your own moisturizer?

The problem with any treatment for acne (drying, astringent) is going to be hard on wrinkles (where you want moisturizing ) and vice versa.

I do however have a couple of suggestions. As an almost 50 year old person who actually does face acne and wrinkles, I like salt or clay soaps. Salt seems to clear up acne, and the high superfat is nice for wrinkles. Same for clay soaps. Activated charcoal is lovely too. As far as EO's - frankincense is supposed to be very good for skin. I would try something like tea tree / lavender / frankincense.

I've made a bar like Soap Queens Charcoal and Rose clay - but in CP, and its fabulous and I need to make more.

That. I like salt soaps for my face. I don't have an issue with acne, however. The only issue I can see is that salt soaps are superfatted with coconut oil, which is comedogenic for some people.

I do make my own moisturiser when I have the time hud, but otherwise I just use a good naturally scented one as I am very sensitive to fragrance oil especially on my face.

Another Salt Soap user here which I alternate every few days with a facial bar I made for my skin made with activated charcoal and tea tree/citrus. It also has jojoba, meadowfoam seed and avocado. I have suffered with severe breakouts since I was young. Now I rarely have a breakout and when I do it seem to heal much more quickly. I too use a good moisturizer on my 50+ face and have the best skin I've ever had.

I use a honey and oats bar on my face daily and my skin feels so soft after that. And my skin cleared up after that (i have lots of blemishes on my face but very few pimples)

Latest posts

Back