Higher Coconut % and super fat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden_seal

Reaction score
I recently began making soaps again after a house fire (total loss) and two year break. I have lost all my recipes and supplies so really, I'm starting from scratch. If I remember correctly I didn't really use anything higher than 20% for coconut oils in my soap but I was wanting a higher percentage for a harder bar. I use olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and shea butter in my recipe. If I moved my super fats to 8% would that accommodate enough to not make my skin dry when raising my coconut oil percentage to 29%?

Thanks!

Welcome, Golden_Seal. :)

To answer your question- since you're the only one who knows your skin better than anyone else, there's only one way to find out if 29% coconut with an 8% superfat will not make your skin dry, and that is to make such a batch and see for yourself.

For what it's worth, the 2 main formulas that I make on a regular basis contain a high amount of the bubbly/cleansing oils- 28% of a combo of CO/PKO/Babassu in one, and a 31% combo of CO/PKO in the other. The one with 28% gets superfatted at 6% and the one with 31% gets superfatted at 8%. Neither are drying to us at all, but our skin-type might not be anything like your own. It all comes down to personal preference.

I would make a 1 lb. batch and see how you like it.

IrishLass :)

I was thinking it might just come to sampling recipes and finding out myself but wanted to see how others faired with something similar.

Thanks for the answer and thank you for the welcome :)

Hi I am new to soaping so... : )
I am currently using a bar that is 30% CO (5% FF) and a find it a bit more drying than 100% OO aged (7% SF) but less drying than commercial Lux which is all PO.

I am experimenting with low to no CO. Would love to know your results. Hopefully someone else has tested higher SF with CO. Good luck. Welcome back to soaping[emoji2]

Last edited:
Back