Herbal Powder for coloring CP soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info SE. CD nice looking soap. :wink: I still need a camera to post my pics. I attempted an orange swirl soap this afternoon using annatto seed powder. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Will keep you all posted.

Regarding Natural Colorants

I just started here with this forum and wanted to send in my little experience with natural colorants. I made a Carrot Soap with very cold organic carrot juice (Wild Oats)and added some tiny Cranberry seeds at trace. The Soap came out a very nice carrot color and the seeds gave it a speckled look. The Fragrance I used was Sundried Tomato, it did not smell like that but it did have a nice clean fragrance. Everyone I gave the soaps out to loved them. I have also used Paprika, Cayenne (peachish colors), Curry, (yellowish) Spirilina (slight to dark green depending on amount used). Sometimes these will leave speckles in the soap but they don't look bad. Just a more natural look.
Hope that helps,
TW

cdwinsby said:
Anyone know what beets would turn out like? I'm worried they might fade alot.

I tried to make purple (lavender scent) using beet root powder and blue ultramarine....... :? :? :? didn't work at all!!! i had to rename my soap "Blue Lavender Goat's Milk" because it's a blue color with brownish red speckles throughout. I'll try again some time, but from my experience, beets turn brown NOT red, even though the powder was a beautiful deep brick red color.

I've used the red sandalwood

Red sandalwood did make my soap the color of raw tuna, a sort of purplish red. If I ever make tuna sushi soap, that is the colorant I would use.

Lovehound said:
Why don't you mash up some tuna and put in about 1 oz raw tuna ppo for your sushi soap? ;) ;) ;)

OH boy! My friend just used some kelp in a soap recipe, it you want to go really authentic, you could use that for aroma. :lol:

pink-north said:
Still looking for a nice green. Any suggestions anyone? :?

I tried using kelp powder and scented it with Cucumbers and Melons from MMS....smells like cucumbers and melons and FISH!!! Not sure if the fishy smell will fade over time or not, but I'm not sure I'd recommend kelp to color with unless you're using a really strong scent to cover it. But it does make a really nice green color!

:wink:

pink-north said:
Just curious about how much kelp powder you used?

too much! :shock: :shock:

My recipe in Soapmaker says 5tbsp (1ppo)...but I can't remember if I used that amount or adjusted it as I smelled the stink! It was at least 3 tbsp for sure, but it's too late tonight to go searching for my hard copy of my recipe that had my notes on it.

Another herbal remedy for toothache is better to use guava leaves. Those who suffer from toothache to chew the tender leaves of guava and the difference can be easily felt. Apart from that, if the toothache is really serious and can not see your dentist immediately, you can have black pepper seeds and can put in the tooth for some time, and that this pain will be announced and feel better. Herbal remedies for toothache are recommended by everyone and the dentist may prefer to use these resources also to protection against all forms of pain. Use of medicinal plants for toothache, the problem is resolved immediately the patient will feel the difference. You can also find other natural resources and how they work and have no side effects too. They are authentic and reliable as well.

spammy link deleted - the mod team

pink-north said:

for a true green, one that holds, clay is the only thing i have found that works. Im sure some of the herbs stay green but i have not tried that many. good luck. :) I do have a nettle leave oil infusion that is still green after months. It has faded but has not turned brown.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had a burning issue w/ paprika? I used paprika and ginger in 1 of my first soaps and one of my friends said they felt burning in a sensitive :shock: area when bathing w/ it.

I used one of the bars in the shower, even on my face, and didn't notice anything. she told me about this long after i had used it. the rest of the batch has been used as hand/dish soap b/c i have so much.

I guess it could have been from the ginger or the paprika. Ive only used the paprika in one soap since then b/c im afraid to, but i love the color.

i didnt keep notes on how much i used.

NameThatCandy said:
Hi there,

I found Wholesalesuppliesplus.com selling some herbal powders for coloring soaps, have anyone tried them?

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/St ... al+Powders

I want to try parsley powder and orange powder.

Any input?

Thanks

I bought some ground orange rind powder from Southern Soapers and used it my cinnamon orange soap. Soap came out nice, but I also used Orange EO, so not sure how much each contributed to the color but I like it. Check out the picture under my post yesterday.

Shania16 said:
Another herbal remedy for toothache is better to use guava leaves. Those who suffer from toothache to chew the tender leaves of guava and the difference can be easily felt. Apart from that, if the toothache is really serious and can not see your dentist immediately, you can have black pepper seeds and can put in the tooth for some time, and that this pain will be announced and feel better. Herbal remedies for toothache are recommended by everyone and the dentist may prefer to use these resources also to protection against all forms of pain. Use of medicinal plants for toothache, the problem is resolved immediately the patient will feel the difference. You can also find other natural resources and how they work and have no side effects too. They are authentic and reliable as well.
Or just use clove oil. My old gentlemen dentist did this.

pink-north said:

Here is some comfrey and yellow dock that I recently infused:

4colorants.jpg

They're the two in the middle. The bottom is comfrey at a much lighter concentration.

burdock leaf is a nice natural green, comfrey is too. dandelion leaf will also give you green, as will nettle leaf. which is almost a lime green, and spirulina makes a nice deep green.
I have been told that chloraphyl actually goes brown in cp soap, but I have never used it to say that from 1st hand knowledge.

Back