Herbal Powder for coloring CP soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmmmm...

She may feel that giving out that info is letting everyone in on her secret. AND - since US soapers are not required by law to label their soap ingredients, she may feel it's not necessary to share the botanical list. HOWEVER - for allergy reasons - it's not a good policy.

I've seen many many soapers including big names like Lush and Indigo Wild simply list as "natural herbal colorants" or something along that line and it bothers me. If I have an allergy to certain herbs - I would like know it's in the soap I am using.

Same goes for oils. I have a few friends with allergies to nuts and cannot use products with hazelnut oil or almond oil in them. If a soap has no ingredients on it - they can't purchase or use it. Same goes for Jewish friends who look for Lard on the label.

NameThatCandy said:
NEA, does the colorants come with an ingredient lists?

Nope. She tells you on her site that she doesn't list the specifics. She just says that the colorants contain "no KNOWN sensitizers" — which doesn't mean that a person can't have a reaction to it.

Marr said:
She may feel that giving out that info is letting everyone in on her secret. AND - since US soapers are not required by law to label their soap ingredients, she may feel it's not necessary to share the botanical list. HOWEVER - for allergy reasons - it's not a good policy.

Exactly. Again, I like to know what's in things I create — especially if I'm sharing those things with others. I can see some real headaches down the road, just because of how people can be — shady and legit.

Marr said:
Hmmmmmmm...

Really?? Even if we list our ingredients, we arent listing the %... It's funny how paranoid people are about people copied...

I understand her wanting to keep her secrets to herself, but as in all things, someone will come up with a formula too. Probably the same way she did.

Here in Canada it is very specific. I have to list all my ingredients. If I don't, I'm not allowed to sell it. I can be vague and put "natural herbal colourants", but I must specify where I got them and the supplier of said colourants must be listed with them. It makes things a little harder, but it's for our protection (I keep telling myself).

pink-north said:
I understand her wanting to keep her secrets to herself, but as in all things, someone will come up with a formula too. Probably the same way she did.

I completely agree. Anyone who thinks they're gonna monopolize ANY area of soapmaking, is fooling themselves. Yes, people are dishonest and unethical. Lord knows. But, you gotta come up with some SHO NUFF different stuff to even begin to think that your idea hasn't been thought (or won't ever be thought) of by someone else. Two or more people can think of the same thing, at the same time.

Julia's very cool, and I'm not trying to call her out for protecting her interests. I'm just saying that at some point, seems like you would have to be willing to come clean about your formulations (basic info). There are many folks who will NOT buy soap supplies/products that don't list exactly what's in them. That's missed opportunities to sell your products. I have NO interest in creating colorants. I'm more than happy to let someone else do it.

I think soapers are at risk for so many litigation suits it's only wise to keep the consumer as informed as possible. No known sensitivities does not mean none. I heard from Julia and she is very polite. I like her. My warning goes out to anyone who is making soap for selling.

pink-north said:
I think soapers are at risk for so many litigation suits it's only wise to keep the consumer as informed as possible. No known sensitivities does not mean none. I heard from Julia and she is very polite. I like her. My warning goes out to anyone who is making soap for selling.

I agree again. I'm not selling soap, so I'm not overly concerned about using the colorants right NOW. But...I don't know what I'll do, when I start selling. I'm really happy with my first experience with her colorants.

for those of you concerned about the ingredients in the emporium naturals colorant sets, I'm not sure if you noticed, but if you click on the herbs section it lists individual herbs that can be used as colorants, and how they will affect your soap.. for example she explains how to use sandalwood powder: "Pteracarpus santalinus, Red Sandalwood produces a lovely purple maroon in soap when the soap has been allowed to gel. It is ph sensitive and for those who prefer a higher lye discount (9-12) the color is more red maroon. Lower lye discounts (5-7) produce more purple maroon color. Use 2 gently rounded teaspoons per 5lbs of oil. "

She supplies similiar details for the other single ingredient colorants she sells. So while she is protective of her proprietary formulas, she has gone of her way to educate the buyer on how to use herbs to color soap naturally. Many of the herb powders look great on their own and don't require any blending however If I wanted to create custom colors from these herbs I'd make up a bunch of infused oils (taking notes to detail how much of each herb I infused in each oil) then I would experiment with using different proportions of the various infused oil solutions

You are quite right. She does take the time to add many details about the single herbs than many other suppliers do.

I personally would stick to buying the single ingredients. I've used herbs for colorant many times with varying results and her info on how the lye discount effects it would maybe help me get a handle on that. AND she offers MANY MANY varieties of herbs and botanicals to work with. Very nice!

I will not purchase the sets though. If they should contain anything made from nuts (like Black Walnut which she sells) - I know three people with nut allergies that would be damaged by it. One it could be downright lethal too. That's just the people I know!

I did not notice that on the site. Thanks for the info Miss J. I will definately look into that. That makes things easier for me.

I have a couple old books from soapmaking in the 1970's. They list some of the botanicals that hold their color. Some things completely change color due to the lye, so it is nice to know which ones will stay the same before hand especially when selling product. I have enough seconds to supply my house and my families.
Tumeric can color from yellow to orange depending on how much you add. Cinnamon looks nice but too much is bad for the skin and makes you sensitive to sun exposure. Paprika is great.
Rosemary turns but dill does not so when I make rosemary soap and want it to look like I put rosemary in it I use dill. If I grind the dill I can add a soft green. Green can also be acheived with chlorophyll. Bluing from the laundry department, if you can find it makes blue. Pink and red can be acheived with natural clays. Cocoa for brown. If you are worried about Chinese ingredients or what went in to anything, buy it from the health food store.(a real granola kind of one) Their product is well lableled and they generally research their product extensively due to their well read clients.
I hope this is what you wanted to know.
Marianne

I love parsley powder - it turns a sage green color. I use pumpkin puree to get shades of yellow and orange.

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions. :D I'm going to the health food store on the weekend to get some of this stuff so that I can try it. I will definately post pics and keep you updated on what I find.

Hi guys! My first post here. :) (major lurker)

I'll post on the Introduction forum soon, but I was browsing, saw this thread and have a question...( Btw, I keep reading and reading, but haven't made a batch yet.)

My favorite soap in the world is Burt's Bees "Garden Tomato". The ingredients don't sound too complex and it's main focus is on tomato powder.

If I by high quality tomato powder, could I use it on a soap? Do you think this may work?

I apologize in advance for the newbie question... :oops:

Yesterday I made a batch using olive oil infused with orange zest and carrot that I had dehydrated the day before. At trace I also added some dehydrated carrot that I ran through the coffee grinder until it was powder.

First time using carrots and oranges so I was a little nervous. Cut it up this morning and it turned out a lovely pumpkin color. I aslo scented it with jasmine, oakmoss, clove and patchouli so it will probably darken a bit as well.

Here is the picture.
2489493093_3742733245_o.jpg

My son said the infused olive oil smelt like carrot cake...he probably wishes I was baking instead. :wink:

Anyone know what beets would turn out like? I'm worried they might fade alot.

pink-north said:
The tomato soap sounds interesting. SE, what natural colourants do you use? (if you don't mind my asking) :)

Ground orange peels, honey, french clay, ground leaves (in my eucalyptus soap I use ground eucalyptus leaves), cinnamon, anise, and so on.

Back