Help with ratio of potassium hydroxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellabella

Reaction score
Hello there!

I am new to soap-making—though I have been making my own shampoo and whipped body butter since some months—and decided to take the plunge after being inspired by the effective and yet simple ingredients list on my favourite facial cleanser.
This felt like a recipe that I could try to reproduce on my own:

Vegetable Glycerin, Saponified Organic Oils (Sunflower Oil, Coconut Oil, Water, Potassium hydroxide, Citric Acid), Comfrey Root Powder, Jojoba Seed Oil, Blue Chamomile Oil

However, the proportions take a bit of guess-work. My main concern is how to saponify the oils, and what ratio of potassium hydroxide do I need?
If anybody could help me out, that would be lovely! Alternately, if somebody could walk me through how to input this into the soap-making calculator, that would also be much appreciated.

Thank you, and stay safe!
I can't wait to start my soap-making journey.

Ella Bella

Hiya Ella Bella! and Weicome! I have a young 3-year-old friend named "Elle" that I call "Ellie Bellie". LOL

This felt like a recipe that I could try to reproduce on my own: Vegetable Glycerin, Saponified Organic Oils (Sunflower Oil, Coconut Oil, Water, Potassium hydroxide, Citric Acid), Comfrey Root Powder, Jojoba Seed Oil, Blue Chamomile Oil
However, the proportions take a bit of guess-work. My main concern is how to saponify the oils, and what ratio of potassium hydroxide do I need?
Hmmm. Are you ready to learn how to make liquid soap? Here's a link to a tutorial and Info:

Basic Beginner Liquid Soap

Vegetable Glycerin, <<< added separately
Saponified Organic Oils (Sunflower Oil, Coconut Oil, Water, Potassium hydroxide, Citric Acid), <<< This is the liquid soap part. The quick answer to the ratio of water to KOH (potassium hydroxide) is 3:1. That makes up your lye solution used to saponify the coconut & sunflower oils. Citric acid (20% solution) is added later.
Comfrey Root Powder, <<< lovely soothing medicinal herb probably infused into the sunflower oil before saponification.
Jojoba Seed Oil, <<< unsaponified oil added separately
Blue Chamomile Oil <<< fragrance (a rather pricey essential oil but lovely)

So? Do ya think you still want to try and make this? :oops:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back