Help with LS recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used e-wax in my liquid soap, but like DeeAnna said- it can't hurt to give it a try.........and then come back to tell us how it went, because like that old Chex cereal commercial..."I'm not going to try it, you try it!" Or maybe there's a Mikey around who can try it! :lol:

kcbitsupply said:
, I've read that jojoba can substitute for the meadowfoam and I think I'll try that unless anybody has another suggestion.

Jojoba sounds like it would be a nice replacement. :thumbup:

Ditto to everything DeeAnna said. I'm going to have to stop calling my PS80 an emulsifier and call it a solubizer instead (I just read about the fine line difference between the two over on Susan Barclay's blog).

IrishLass :)

Ok so maybe the stearic & ewax isn't such a great idea. I was thinking IL had to melt the stearic in order to incorporate it into the diluted soap. Are you guys saying the stearic doesn't have to be melted? Just combine the stearic with PS80 which turns it into something water soluble? I'm definitely going to get some PS80 & IPM in my next Soaper's Choice order.

Hi Dorie- my stearic gets heated/melted along with my paste during dilution (along with my other dilution ingredients such as my EDTA solution, .15% PS80, sodium lactate, and water).

Later on, after all has been diluted and completely cooled, I add my meadowfoam s/f along with more PS80 to solubize it into my soap. I just stir this part in- no heat required.

It looks like I should probably start a new thread on how I make this formula. lol

IrishLass :)

If you re-read IL's Post 13, she adds the stearic to the PASTE after saponification. Yes, stearic acid needs to be melted, but you're stirring it into to an already-warm material, so it's not a big deal. If you were to use an emulsifier, you'd need to incorporate the melted emulsifier with the diluted soap, not the paste. The emulsifier needs to be added directly to the ingredients that need to be emulsified.

She adds the meadowfoam and PS80 to the DILUTED soap. I don't know how IL does it, but I get the best results when I use PS80 by first mixing the oil and PS80 so the polysorbate can do its magic with the oil. I then add that mixture to the main liquid. Sometimes I don't get the dosage quite right, so I have to add polysorbate to the final mix, but my preference would be to mix the PS and oils first.

ETA: Wups, IL and I were writing our responses at about the same time, but it sounds like we are saying much the same things.

DUH (total face-palm & light-bulb moment), that makes perfect sense and I don't know why I didn't read it that way to begin with! Probably because I was fixated on adding the stearic to a small sample that had already been diluted instead of adding it during dilution.

Latest posts

Back