Liquid Soap Question(s)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My stick blender has just begun to start adding air bubbles to my batter. It's adding too much air for CP, but I'm wondering if it really matters for making liquid soap paste. I've made liquid soap a whole two times, so I don't have much experience to go on, but it seems like some air bubbles in the paste might not be a big deal. But I don't know. The motor is still fine, so I'd like to get some more use out of the SB if I can.

Unrelated, but I read this post by @Zany_in_CO this morning:
The soap base is opaque at first but becomes translucent and soft,
similar in color and texture to vaseline, one week later. I then put it in a
ZipLoc and store it in the fridge until I’m ready to dilute.
Soap base may be stored in fridge for up to 12 weeks.

Does soap paste need to be refrigerated? And it's only good for 12 weeks? We don't use a lot of liquid soap, and I didn't give any of my first batch away. The second batch I gave some to family members, but still have some left. I've stored it in my soaping area in my basement (cool and dark but not refrigerated). I add a preservative when I dilute it.

Does soap paste need to be refrigerated?
No, fully saponified soap doesn't need refrigeration but I think it helps to extend the shelf life -- just like some oils we use.
And it's only good for 12 weeks?
IME (In My Experience) after the 12-week mark it dries out a bit and becomes more difficult to dissolve. It's still good.

YMMV.

My stick blender has just begun to start adding air bubbles to my batter
When that happens, stop SB-ing and use the blender to stir. Continue like that, on & off, to trace. Avoid bubbles if possible. Those pesky devils tend to sit on top forever! Spritz lightly with alcohol to disperse.

Last edited:
@Zany_in_CO thank you for the response. If it's just that it gets a little dry, I can live with that. Making LS isn't my favorite activity and I was hoping that I wouldn't have to start making small batches a lot more often. I just have some KOH I need to use.

I add a preservative when I dilute it.
Fully saponified soap doesn't require preservative.
I formulate my recipes to make a gallon of diluted LS at a time.
I store it in my laundry room.
I've been making LS since 2004 and have never had a batch go south on me.

Think about it. There's a reason why there's no preservative specifically formulated for liquid soap. Nasties don't survive in an akaline product. Typically, LS has a pH value of 11 - 9. pH 7 is neutral; below that is acidic.

My stick blender has just begun to start adding air bubbles to my batter. It's adding too much air for CP, but I'm wondering if it really matters for making liquid soap paste. I've made liquid soap a whole two times, so I don't have much experience to go on, but it seems like some air bubbles in the paste might not be a big deal. But I don't know. The motor is still fine, so I'd like to get some more use out of the SB if I can.

Unrelated, but I read this post by @Zany_in_CO this morning:
The soap base is opaque at first but becomes translucent and soft,
similar in color and texture to vaseline, one week later. I then put it in a
ZipLoc and store it in the fridge until I’m ready to dilute.
Soap base may be stored in fridge for up to 12 weeks.

Does soap paste need to be refrigerated? And it's only good for 12 weeks? We don't use a lot of liquid soap, and I didn't give any of my first batch away. The second batch I gave some to family members, but still have some left. I've stored it in my soaping area in my basement (cool and dark but not refrigerated). I add a preservative when I dilute it.
Glad you have a backup SB. I think using the old one for LS is a great idea!

Because of the wear and tear from longer blending with LS, I use my older SB and get a fair amount of bubbles in my LS paste. The fact that it will be diluted later makes those bubbles irrelevant, IMO.

Also, not that you asked 😊 but to speed things up, I soap hot and SB all the way to the thick taffy stage in less than five minutes for most of my 500g (paste) recipes. Still quite a workout for the SB!

Back to your questions, I’ve stored my soap paste close to a year in a tightly-sealed zip-top bag in the fridge. I would be very comfortable with a cool dark basement instead, if I had one. 😊 I do press as much air as possible out of the bag before closing it. I don’t use a preservative in the paste and have had no issues with it.

@AliOop thank you. I hated to just toss the SB when it still has some life left. I didn't think the air bubbles would make a difference in the soap paste, but I know next to nothing about LS. Thanks for your other tips, too. I do get as much air as possible out of the bag I store the paste in, and then keep it in another fairly air tight container. I don't preserve my paste but do preserve the LS because I'm a germaphobe. Maybe the next time I need to make LS I'll try soaping hot - it sounds a bit 'exciting' though.

Maybe the next time I need to make LS I'll try soaping hot - it sounds a bit 'exciting' though
Depends on how hot. Unless I’m making HTLS, I’m only talking about oils being around 150F, plus freshly-made (hot) KOH solution. Nothing dramatic happening at those temps, at least, not for me. But it makes for a lot less stick-blending!

Last edited:
Depends on how hot. Unless I’m making HTLS, I’m only talking about oils being around 150F, plus fresh made KOH solution. Nothing dramatic happening at those temps, at least, not for me. But it makes for a lot less stick-blending!
:thumbs:

I started making LS in 2004. Early on, I took temps along the way and learned that 159°F +/- was the "silver bullet" where everything happened: Trace, Saponification and Dilution.

(See Failor's book) Using normal technique, and following safety guidelines, combine when oils are 160°F (71°C) and KOH solution is 140°F (60°C). Stir by hand, then SB (on and off) to trace for 10 - 15 minutes. Maintain temp at 160°F (71°C) until trace occurs.

At that point, you can continue with whichever process you're most comfortable with -- HP or CP. At that time, I probably used a 50/50 coconut and liquid oil combo.

Depending on what recipe you use, YMMV.

Depends on how hot. Unless I’m making HTLS, I’m only talking about oils being around 150F, plus fresh made KOH solution. Nothing dramatic happening at those temps, at least, not for me. But it makes for a lot less stick-blending!
Oh, gotcha! I do think my first batch was warmer than my second and it did go faster. I hope I can remember that for months and months until I have to make LS again. 🤪

Back