FWIW, the term “natural” doesn’t hold much weight as it is not a regulated term. Exocert or not, I cannot go out in nature and grab some SCI or SLSA. IMO, calling a product made with those ingredients “natural” is being a bit deceitful.
Most people don't have a clue what ecocert certification really means, thought you might find this enlightening:
What is “Ecocert” Certification?
In modern times, cosmetics are synonymous with hygiene, personal well-being and beauty. They are used daily and generously for the care of the whole family. Numerous products invade the everyday life of the average person, personal hygiene and care products, beauty products, makeup, perfumes, baby care products, sunscreen…
At a time when organic products are following a thriving course, more and more logos and certifications appear in bottles and boxes. For you, therefore, looking for credentials and suspecting that all certification organizations are not of the same high requirements and strict specifications, we provide you with information about the certifications of the products we represent.
WHAT GUARANTEE DOES THE CERTIFIED TERM “BIOLOGICAL COSMETIC” OFFER
“ECOCERT” is one of the world’s most well-known and major organic product certification bodies.
It is the most rigorous and credible organization, approved by the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Finance and Industry of France.
“Ecocert” certification guarantees that the products tested meet the requirements and specifications for the manufacturing process and methods and respect the commitments on organic cosmetics.
Ingredients obtained through chemical processes may not be included in the composition of products certified by “Ecocert”.
In particular, the “Ecocert” certifying body prohibits:
“Ecocert” certification ensures:
- Synthetic dyes – Synthetic aromas – Synthetic antioxidants
- Synthetic oils – Animal feeds and of course no animal experiments are allowed – nor Paraben type conservatives…
- Silicones – Ingredients from the petrochemical industry (mineral oils, paraffin…) Propylene glycol, peg, edta…
- At least 95% of natural ingredients in the final product (the remaining 5% of the ingredients are strictly preset and safe raw materials and active ingredients)
- At least 95% of the herbal ingredients are certified for organic farming
- At least 10% organically certified ingredients in the final product
- The materials used for product packaging are recyclable and the products are produced with low energy consumption.
- Producers are controlled at all stages at least twice a year.
- Finally, only “Ecocert” requires the use of a fixed percentage of biological ingredients and requires them to be mentioned on the packaging of the product.
- This element differentiates “Ecocert” from other organizations and ensures absolute consumer confidence worldwide.
- In addition, production, packaging and handling processes are absolutely safe for man and the environment. (This concerns both the final product and the raw materials from which it is composed)
“ECOCERT” controls manufacturers of plant cosmetics at least twice a year.
The process involves scrutiny at all levels related to the production chain and not just the products.
These requirements lead companies to the utmost transparency and guarantee of the impeccable quality of raw materials.
- Raw materials
- Hygiene and Cleanliness
- Energy consumption
- Waste Management (Recycling)
- Assessment of overall quality and control status
- Component lists and verification of acquisition procedures
- Percentages of biological components
Auditors prepare the report they send to the Certification Committee.
The dossier remains anonymous throughout the completion of the certification process by the Commission.
HOW ARE ORGANIC COSMETICS MAINTAINED
Originally innovative oxygen-free packaging with a dosing cap or spray to avoid hand contact and risk of infection.
Balanced combination of vitamins A, C & E, from natural sources as well as antioxidant ingredients of plant origin.
Innovative solutions and pioneering ideas for the use of ingredients like glucose – glucose oxydase – lactoperoxydase, which were initially used for their anti – aging activity, but soon found to provide antioxidant protection. So they can act as natural preservatives.
Finally, when the quality and safe use of the product and the health of the consumer are not compromised, the use of “Ecocert” synthetic preservatives is less than 0.5%!
Plant Biotechnology research has continuously offered new natural solutions that the laboratories are studying and implementing, always in order to offer greater comfort and efficiency to its products.
We can say that products always evolve to the benefit of consumers!