Help with DIY Daily Shower Spray

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you ZanyinCO, I should have been clearer. I am making a daily spray-on, leave-on shower spray. It works to prevent build up over time.

I do have a great shower cleaning recipe for when it is time to clean. Mix in spray bottle half vinegar, half dish soap, some EOs. Spray on all shower surfaces and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Scum comes right off with gentle scrubbing motion. Rinse well with hot water. No solubizer needed in that one bc the dish soap as a surfactant does what is needed to keep the EOs from separating out.

But the daily shower spray has no dish soap so that’s why I’m considering PS80. I think alcohol won’t work bc too much is needed to solubize the EOs. The recipe as is works great, I was just hoping to add a nicer smell. The CA version doesn’t smell at all but the vinegar sure does.
Tennis Girl I use a half vinegar / half dish soap cleaner too. I find Dawn dish soap works best. My shower is white fiberglass which shows EVERYTHING. If the vinegar/dish soap cleaner does not clean all the scum off, I make a paste of half borax, half Dawn dish soap and a little hot water. Apply the paste on the spot, let it dry. Then wet a scrub brush and scrub all the scum off. I like the idea of a daily spray on to prevent build up over time and I will have to try it!

@Becky1024 agreed, Dawn rocks!! The daily shower spray really does work too! The CA version is odorless and seems stronger to me than the vinegar version. I either spray that everywhere or squeegee after every single shower. I also use citric acid in my homemade soap. All of that together has greatly reduced the scum buildup which was a constant nightmare in the past.

Thank you for the tip of borax + Dawn. I've used baking soda but will def give the borax a try now too. Always have it around since I make laundry cleaning powder with it and also use it for toilet cleaning. Sprinkle in, swish around, wait 10 minutes. Sparkling toilets!

Tennis Girl I use a half vinegar / half dish soap cleaner too. I find Dawn dish soap works best. My shower is white fiberglass which shows EVERYTHING. If the vinegar/dish soap cleaner does not clean all the scum off, I make a paste of half borax, half Dawn dish soap and a little hot water. Apply the paste on the spot, let it dry. Then wet a scrub brush and scrub all the scum off. I like the idea of a daily spray on to prevent build up over time and I will have to try it!
I do as well. I use one of those dish washing wand gadgets that you put the solution right in the wand. I keep it in my shower and clean the wall tiles as I’m in the shower.

FWIW, the term “natural” doesn’t hold much weight as it is not a regulated term. Exocert or not, I cannot go out in nature and grab some SCI or SLSA. IMO, calling a product made with those ingredients “natural” is being a bit deceitful.
Most people don't have a clue what ecocert certification really means, thought you might find this enlightening:
What is “Ecocert” Certification?
What is “Ecocert” Certification?

In modern times, cosmetics are synonymous with hygiene, personal well-being and beauty. They are used daily and generously for the care of the whole family. Numerous products invade the everyday life of the average person, personal hygiene and care products, beauty products, makeup, perfumes, baby care products, sunscreen…
At a time when organic products are following a thriving course, more and more logos and certifications appear in bottles and boxes. For you, therefore, looking for credentials and suspecting that all certification organizations are not of the same high requirements and strict specifications, we provide you with information about the certifications of the products we represent.

WHAT GUARANTEE DOES THE CERTIFIED TERM “BIOLOGICAL COSMETIC” OFFER
“ECOCERT” is one of the world’s most well-known and major organic product certification bodies.
It is the most rigorous and credible organization, approved by the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Finance and Industry of France.
“Ecocert” certification guarantees that the products tested meet the requirements and specifications for the manufacturing process and methods and respect the commitments on organic cosmetics.
Ingredients obtained through chemical processes may not be included in the composition of products certified by “Ecocert”.

In particular, the “Ecocert” certifying body prohibits:
  • Synthetic dyes – Synthetic aromas – Synthetic antioxidants
  • Synthetic oils – Animal feeds and of course no animal experiments are allowed – nor Paraben type conservatives…
  • Silicones – Ingredients from the petrochemical industry (mineral oils, paraffin…) Propylene glycol, peg, edta…

“Ecocert” certification ensures:
  • At least 95% of natural ingredients in the final product (the remaining 5% of the ingredients are strictly preset and safe raw materials and active ingredients)
  • At least 95% of the herbal ingredients are certified for organic farming
  • At least 10% organically certified ingredients in the final product
  • The materials used for product packaging are recyclable and the products are produced with low energy consumption.
  • Producers are controlled at all stages at least twice a year.
  • Finally, only “Ecocert” requires the use of a fixed percentage of biological ingredients and requires them to be mentioned on the packaging of the product.
  • This element differentiates “Ecocert” from other organizations and ensures absolute consumer confidence worldwide.
  • In addition, production, packaging and handling processes are absolutely safe for man and the environment. (This concerns both the final product and the raw materials from which it is composed)

“ECOCERT” controls manufacturers of plant cosmetics at least twice a year.

The process involves scrutiny at all levels related to the production chain and not just the products.
  • Raw materials
  • Transport
  • Storage
  • Hygiene and Cleanliness
  • Energy consumption
  • Waste Management (Recycling)
  • Assessment of overall quality and control status
  • Component lists and verification of acquisition procedures
  • Percentages of biological components
  • Packaging
  • Labels

These requirements lead companies to the utmost transparency and guarantee of the impeccable quality of raw materials.
Auditors prepare the report they send to the Certification Committee.
The dossier remains anonymous throughout the completion of the certification process by the Commission.

HOW ARE ORGANIC COSMETICS MAINTAINED
Originally innovative oxygen-free packaging with a dosing cap or spray to avoid hand contact and risk of infection.
Balanced combination of vitamins A, C & E, from natural sources as well as antioxidant ingredients of plant origin.
Innovative solutions and pioneering ideas for the use of ingredients like glucose – glucose oxydase – lactoperoxydase, which were initially used for their anti – aging activity, but soon found to provide antioxidant protection. So they can act as natural preservatives.
Finally, when the quality and safe use of the product and the health of the consumer are not compromised, the use of “Ecocert” synthetic preservatives is less than 0.5%!
Plant Biotechnology research has continuously offered new natural solutions that the laboratories are studying and implementing, always in order to offer greater comfort and efficiency to its products.
We can say that products always evolve to the benefit of consumers!

My opinion remains the same. While I appreciate your supplied information, I have already done my homework. I’m not really sure if it’s relevant when the conversation left off with you asking where I found information about SCI not being used on babies so you could “find out what these people are talking about”. I provided my source and I feel like somehow the conversation shifted to a different topic. I still believe SCI is not natural by my definition of natural. That will not change no matter what label is thrown on it. It is a synthetic ingredient. Even at 0.5% synthetic, a product is not then natural, IMO. Naturally derived and natural are not necessarily the same.

How do you reconcile this:
Ingredients obtained through chemical processes may not be included in the composition of products certified by “Ecocert”.
With this?
puracy.com said:
Sodium cocoyl isethionate is made by reacting sodium isethionate with the fatty acid from coconut oil (or other chlorides).

In fact, I would think disallowing "chemical processes" rules out a very large number of things?

How do you reconcile this:

With this?

In fact, I would think disallowing "chemical processes" rules out a very large number of things?
I think you may be interpreting the sentence differently than intended. In a nutshell, a synthetic is completely created in the lab, where as certain components may be taken from nature and processed. "Chemical processes" refer to what chemical components are allowed in the processing of these natural ingredients and although ecocert will permit a natural component to be "processed", the chemicals that they often use for this processing is often not permitted. Ecocert strictly regulates what chemical components may be used in the processing of natural ingredients that carry ecocert certification.

I see a number of suppliers listing SCI as ECOCERT, but when checking the Cosmos database (the cosmetics side of ECOCERT), it is not in their approved list. My understanding of how SCI is made, as Tara says, would in fact not allow it to be ECOCERT.

@rparrny SCI is well-known to makers as a syndet. You absolutely have the right to call it something else if you like, but will have to accept that most everyone else will be confused when you call something other than what everyone else calls it.

Also, if you look at the MSDS, it is listed as hazardous to aquatic life with both acute and chronic (long-term) effects. Not sure how that fits with the EcoCert claims but as you noted earlier, we should be paying close attention to the scientific reports that suppliers publish regarding the ingredients in their products.

My opinion remains the same. While I appreciate your supplied information, I have already done my homework. I’m not really sure if it’s relevant when the conversation left off with you asking where I found information about SCI not being used on babies so you could “find out what these people are talking about”. I provided my source and I feel like somehow the conversation shifted to a different topic. I still believe SCI is not natural by my definition of natural. That will not change no matter what label is thrown on it. It is a synthetic ingredient. Even at 0.5% synthetic, a product is not then natural, IMO. Naturally derived and natural are not necessarily the same.
I agree but again, you are misusing the term "synthetic" a synthetic is a component completely man made, in a lab. SCI is not a synthetic, it is a natural ingredient that has been processed to alter its function. And if you read the ecocert qualification, you see that they are VERY picky as to what components are allowed in that processing. Is it natural? Nope, but for certain formulations, where your choices are synthetics or an ecocert certified ingredients, most of us that do organic skin care formulation will choose ecocert every time. With out it, there would be no formulations with water of any kind, as there are no true "natural" preservatives and anything with water will breed pathogens quickly without preservatives. Even an anhydrous product like a sugar scrub is at high risk of contamination as it is used in the shower and is likely to be introduced to water. Unless it's put in an airless pump or maybe a tube, you can't keep it from getting wet...a responsible formulator knows this and will preserve the product. If they have gone out of their way to create a natural sugar scrub, do you think they want to preserve with a synthetic? No, and the same goes for lotions and creams. So although we would love all of our products to be 100% natural, the reality is...it would severely limit our offerings. Having ecocert certified ingredients gives us the knowledge that these processed, necessary ingredients have been strictly regulated, tested and receive continuous monitoring to ensure a quality product.

I see a number of suppliers listing SCI as ECOCERT, but when checking the Cosmos database (the cosmetics side of ECOCERT), it is not in their approved list. My understanding of how SCI is made, as Tara says, would in fact not allow it to be ECOCERT.
Keep in mind their are many different companies that make SCI, those that follow ecocert standards are certified. Since some companies may not follow those standards, Cosmos doesn't (and shouldn't) list it as people would think that just any SCI is approved.

I agree but again, you are misusing the term "synthetic" a synthetic is a component completely man made, in a lab. SCI is not a synthetic, it is a natural ingredient that has been processed to alter its function.
I think you are missing the point which is that SCI may not be "synthetic" as that term is strictly defined, but every maker I've ever talked to (right up to this discussion) refers to SCI as a syndet. So when you are trying to explain things to others you need to keep in mind that you are the one creating confusion because you are using the term "syndet" in a different way than everyone else. You may be technically correct but you still create confusion.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this list:
https://www.cosmos-standard-rm.org/verifmp.phpAllows you to search for ingredients and companies that are ECOCERT.
SCI is not on this list under any name or company.
Did you check the raw ingredient database?

I think you are missing the point which is that SCI may not be "synthetic" as that term is strictly defined, but every maker I've ever talked to (right up to this discussion) refers to SCI as a syndet. So when you are trying to explain things to others you need to keep in mind that you are the one creating confusion because you are using the term "syndet" in a different way than everyone else. You may be technically correct but you still create confusion.
Syndet is a nickname it came from "Synthetic Detergent" SCI does not fall in the category of a synthetic is it is not a man made chemical, the raw ingredients are natural, but I understand that most people misuse the term. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Syndet is a nickname it came from "Synthetic Detergent" SCI does not fall in the category of a synthetic is it is not a man made chemical, the raw ingredients are natural, but I understand that most people misuse the term.
Please stop talking like none of us know about preservatives, or how to formulate, or even where the term syndet came from. I actually said that exact thing (syndet = synthetic detergent) in post #25 above so it is very condescending for you to act like you have to teach me the basics. It is not necessary to the issues being discussed and comes across as quite arrogant. You know nothing about me or my education or skill level.

You might want to spend some time reading old posts and realizing that most of the people on this thread have been formulating and advocating for preservatives and yes, using SCI with masks - for years. And making a successful living at it, too.

Please stop talking like none of us know about preservatives, or how to formulate, or even where the term syndet came from. I actually said that exact thing (syndet = synthetic detergent) in post #25 above so it is very condescending for you to act like you have to teach me the basics. It is not necessary to the issues being discussed and comes across as quite arrogant. You know nothing about me or my education or skill level.

You might want to spend some time reading old posts and realizing that most of the people on this thread have been formulating and advocating for preservatives and yes, using SCI with masks - for years. And making a successful living at it, too.
As a former University Professor, teaching is what I do. Unfortunately with the number of people in this post, I couldn't be sure who understood the origin of the term and I wish I had the time to review all old posts, but I don't. I am well aware of the credentials of the membership, I don't think that precludes me from explaining my position or beliefs. I'm sorry if you felt belittled, but I didn't make you feel that way...you did. I have no intention of engaging further. I'm done.

I don't feel belittled, I feel ANNOYED that you are clogging up MY thread with unnecessary long-winded explanations about things we already know and which don't relate at all to my original post or the discussion that has spun off from it. I tried saying it more nicely in an earlier response but you apparently don't respond to subtle.

Others' credentials don't make me feel less than, nor does lack of credentials make me assume that someone doesn't know things. I choose not to share my educational level because then people can take me as I am. I either know my stuff or I don't, and when I don't, I am thrilled to learn from anyone with knowledge - credentials or no credentials.

I agree but again, you are misusing the term "synthetic" a synthetic is a component completely man made, in a lab. SCI is not a synthetic, it is a natural ingredient that has been processed to alter its function. And if you read the ecocert qualification, you see that they are VERY picky as to what components are allowed in that processing. Is it natural? Nope, but for certain formulations, where your choices are synthetics or an ecocert certified ingredients, most of us that do organic skin care formulation will choose ecocert every time. With out it, there would be no formulations with water of any kind, as there are no true "natural" preservatives and anything with water will breed pathogens quickly without preservatives. Even an anhydrous product like a sugar scrub is at high risk of contamination as it is used in the shower and is likely to be introduced to water. Unless it's put in an airless pump or maybe a tube, you can't keep it from getting wet...a responsible formulator knows this and will preserve the product. If they have gone out of their way to create a natural sugar scrub, do you think they want to preserve with a synthetic? No, and the same goes for lotions and creams. So although we would love all of our products to be 100% natural, the reality is...it would severely limit our offerings. Having ecocert certified ingredients gives us the knowledge that these processed, necessary ingredients have been strictly regulated, tested and receive continuous monitoring to ensure a quality product.
I guess I am still very confused with your definition of synthetic. Take, for example, plastic, which is a synthetic material made from petroleum, which is pumped out of the earth. It is still a synthetic. I'm pretty sure SCI is made in a lab as well. I understand that to get the Ecocert stamp of approval, many standards must be met, but this does not make them any less synthetic.

I don’t think the issue with petroleum is whether or not it has a natural origin, my understanding of the issue of petroleum is that it can’t be metabolized, it may be carcinogenic, it’s occlusive and it has no nutrient value for the skin. Just because somethings natural doesn’t mean it’s good for you.

I don’t think the issue with petroleum is whether or not it has a natural origin, my understanding of the issue of petroleum is that it can’t be metabolized, it may be carcinogenic, it’s occlusive and it has no nutrient value for the skin. Just because somethings natural doesn’t mean it’s good for you.
Now, you seem to be the one missing the point. I wasn’t debating any issue with petroleum so your reply is totally irrelevant. Simply giving an example of a synthetic with natural origins. No matter how processed, plastic will always be a synthetic. You have been implying that due to specific processing and other factors, a synthetic can be deemed natural and that simply is not true.

Now, you seem to be the one missing the point. I wasn’t debating any issue with petroleum so your reply is totally irrelevant. Simply giving an example of a synthetic with natural origins. No matter how processed, plastic will always be a synthetic. You have been implying that due to specific processing and other factors, a synthetic can be deemed natural and that simply is not true.
Ummm...last I looked most if not all plastic is made from petroleum, which as you state is natural

Latest posts

Back