Help Needed: How to use elemi gum resin in soap making

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa Encarnacion

Reaction score
Hi,

I have purchased a kilo of elemi gum resin and decided to infuse it in 1 litre of pili oil. As I used heat to infuse it, it sort of binded with the oil and it is now a fragrant creamy texture. Can I still use it to make cold process soap? If yes, how (will I reduce the liquid in the lye solution, or use it as one of the oils, etc.)?

Thank you so much!

Hi Melissa! Welcome to the forum.. Come n introduce yourself to us :)
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/forums/the-introduction-forum.16/

Hi,

I have purchased a kilo of elemi gum resin and decided to infuse it in 1 litre of pili oil. As I used heat to infuse it, it sort of binded with the oil and it is now a fragrant creamy texture. Can I still use it to make cold process soap? If yes, how (will I reduce the liquid in the lye solution, or use it as one of the oils, etc.)?

Thank you so much!

I'm assuming since it's infused in oil then it'll be an oil, not water. I'm just not sure if that much resin, in that quantity of oil changes anything as far as "maneuverability" is concerned. I hope someone with more knowledge can answer you.

I think your bigger problem will be how to calculate with the pili oil, as I've not found it on any soap calc so far.

I've actually just asked about it here before I came across this thread coz I wanted to try the pili oil as well.

Hi Melissa! Welcome to the forum.. Come n introduce yourself to us :)
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/forums/the-introduction-forum.16/

I'm assuming since it's infused in oil then it'll be an oil, not water. I'm just not sure if that much resin, in that quantity of oil changes anything as far as "maneuverability" is concerned. I hope someone with more knowledge can answer you.

I think your bigger problem will be how to calculate with the pili oil, as I've not found it on any soap calc so far.

I've actually just asked about it here before I came across this thread coz I wanted to try the pili oil as well.

Hi Dawni!

Will ask the one I bought the resin from how it should go. About the pili oil though, I have not given that a thought more than I should. Haha!

Latest posts

Back