Help! Dead Mouse Smell in Truck

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have a project truck that a mouse got into and died. The body and associated mess has been cleaned up from the carpet and baking soda liberally sprinkled (twice) and vacuumed. Problem is that the dead/decomposing stench is still pretty strong. Any recommendations for something to help get rid of the smell?

Ugh, we had this happen in a vehicle, and I'm sorry to say that the smell remained forever. It wasn't bad unless the air was humid or one shampooed the seats or carpets. We tried everything. If anyone has a solution, I'm all ears, because I still know who owns that vehicle, and they said they can still smell it sometimes, too. Side note: we sold them the car 20+ years ago; it's a 1990 Honda Civic that is still going!

Also happened to my daughter’s car. She couldn’t take it her freshman year of college and a mouse died sometime between when she left and came back home for fa break. The smell was horrible and nothing except time and winter helped. Sorry this happened to you, but I too will be watching for anything that could help in case we ever have to deal with it again.

@AliOop, @dibbles do you remember what you tried? So far we have only tried baking soda. I am thinking of activated charcoal next as well as a product called smelleze. Smelleze has very mixed reviews on Amazon and a small packet is just over $20. Worth it if it works but I hate to spend $20 and find out I wasted money.

We used charcoal bags, and also an enzyme cleaner that was specifically for animal smells. Sorry that I don't remember the name of it, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped anyway.

We used charcoal bags, and also an enzyme cleaner that was specifically for animal smells. Sorry that I don't remember the name of it, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped anyway.
Thank you!

Have you tried spraying febreze on the Upholstery and carpet? It may help for a while.
Unfortunately, I can’t tolerate many fragrances, including Febreze.

Cut-up apples can actually help. We had one many years get chopped up in a car heater fan when I was a kid so it was many years ago. I still remember the odor when the heater was used in that car and it was long before all the enzyme cleaners available today. I remember someone told my mom to cut up apples and put them under the hood of the car and actually inside the car. It really did get rid of the odor over time.

Remove the cabin air filter first, then use one of those aerosol odor bombs you can get them at wal mart or auto zone. Instructions are on the can they are super easy to use, basically run the A/C full blast with one of those, doors closed. They leave no scent. Replace cabin air filter with new one. They're normally pretty easy to swap out, typically in the glove box.

Try D-Limone. A few drops in soapy water. Wash several times rinse wash rag out each time. On the final wash rinsie with clear water to remove the citrus smell if it bothers you. Often the smell calms down from airing. Have successfully used D-Limone to remove doggie toss ups. I’ve got a grass eater who also gets a bit of human food. Sometimes causing issues. The odor and stains are well removed with D-Limone.

If all else fails, you could hire a professional cleaning service that cleans after someone dies in house. Due to the various natural bodily eliminations after death, and sometimes, the stages of decomp, they have chemical cleaners not typically available to the general public so maybe they can do the carpet in the vehicle 🤷🏼‍♀️

If all else fails, you could hire a professional cleaning service that cleans after someone dies in house. Due to the various natural bodily eliminations after death, and sometimes, the stages of decomp, they have chemical cleaners not typically available to the general public so maybe they can do the carpet in the vehicle 🤷🏼‍♀️
That was my thought as well. If these people don’t know how then no one does 😊

I want to chime in with support for OdorMute (unscented product) that works, followed by Natures Miracle, Rocco & Roxie (nice scent), or any of the commercial enzyme-based cleaners. The only way to get rid of the odor is to have enzymes break it down. All of the others are a fragrance cover up Band-Aid. You will have to get the product directly on the area where the mouse died to break the proteins down.

The advice to change the cabin air filter is also good, even if you don’t have an odor problem. We just did that and it improved the flow of our air conditioning immediately!

I’ve used Odormute in an overnight soak in the washing machine to get rid of doggy scent or other odors in fabrics. After the overnight soak, just wash as usual.

I wonder if something like Natures Miracle or BioKlean's Bac-out would work. I've used both to get the smell of cat pee out of fabric (and frankly if it can get the smell of cat pee out, it can probably get any smell out!) Bac-out has no scents added.
Thank you! Will check it out. I agree, if it gets the smell of cat pee out of something it will probably work on anything.
Cut-up apples can actually help. We had one many years get chopped up in a car heater fan when I was a kid so it was many years ago. I still remember the odor when the heater was used in that car and it was long before all the enzyme cleaners available today. I remember someone told my mom to cut up apples and put them under the hood of the car and actually inside the car. It really did get rid of the odor over time.
Wow and thank you! I can’t imagine what that was like initially. Heading in to cut up an apple. Hubby is sanding and eradicating rust from the bed so the cab is closed up. It’s a great time to try getting the odor out.
That’s a great idea. Thank you!

Remove the cabin air filter first, then use one of those aerosol odor bombs you can get them at wal mart or auto zone. Instructions are on the can they are super easy to use, basically run the A/C full blast with one of those, doors closed. They leave no scent. Replace cabin air filter with new one. They're normally pretty easy to swap out, typically in the glove box.
Will definitely keep that in mind. I just sprayed Natures Miracle that I forgot we had. This is a 1981 Toyota, way before cabin air filters so that’s a step we can skip. 😂

Try D-Limone. A few drops in soapy water. Wash several times rinse wash rag out each time. On the final wash rinsie with clear water to remove the citrus smell if it bothers you. Often the smell calms down from airing. Have successfully used D-Limone to remove doggie toss ups. I’ve got a grass eater who also gets a bit of human food. Sometimes causing issues. The odor and stains are well removed with D-Limone.
Another great suggestion, thank you.

Latest posts

Back