Hello!! New to this site and new to starting my own business :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Hello everyone!! I am so glad I found this forum site!! I just bought some of my supplies to start making organic lotion to sell. I am a mom of 3 and I also work part time in health care. I live in Wisconsin, I am excited to learn a whole lot more about starting my business and meet new people. :)

Welcome to the forum. There's lots of people here who make stuff, so you will be able to get input and ideas, and good advice on adding preservatives and meeting FDA label requirements, and what to do do when batches go wrong as well as celebrating successes. These are all things we've been discussing the last few days, so I hope you're having a good read if you're exploring the boards!

Thank you ladies!! I'm actually going to be starting out using a natural base and just add essential oils. I've been doing quite a bit of research and trying to learn how to go about it all. But most of what I find is about soaps and recipes. I'm new to all of it, so any advice is appreciated!!

Lotions are mostly made from oils, "butters," and emulsifiers. I would check youtube for tutorials, and I would add a preservative, even if you're trying to go natural. Because oils tend to separate and melt in the heat, you want to add something to keep it all together (emulsifier), and possibly add a preservative to keep bacerial growth out. I wish I could tell you which preservative to use, but that one is over my head too. You can try lotioncrafters.com, they have an entire range of things to make lotions with. Thanks to paillo for showing me that site yesterday!

I will show you the ingredients list for the base, it used all organic oils and has emulsifying wax and natural preservatives. It says shelf life for up to a few months.. distilled water, organic jojoba oil, organic castor oil, emulsifying wax (veggie based), glycerin (kosher grade), stearic acid, citric acid, allantoin, rosemary extract, grapefruit seed extract, vitamin E, potassium sorbate (food grade preservative), and ascorbic acid (food grade preservative). What concerns me is that when I go to add my essential oil, will it separate or water it down and ruin it.. I certainly hope not..

oh you're using a base. So it's already mixed in. Bases are made to accept fragerence and colorants, as long as you're not using too much.

I will show you the ingredients list for the base, it used all organic oils and has emulsifying wax and natural preservatives. It says shelf life for up to a few months.. distilled water, organic jojoba oil, organic castor oil, emulsifying wax (veggie based), glycerin (kosher grade), stearic acid, citric acid, allantoin, rosemary extract, grapefruit seed extract, vitamin E, potassium sorbate (food grade preservative), and ascorbic acid (food grade preservative). What concerns me is that when I go to add my essential oil, will it separate or water it down and ruin it.. I certainly hope not..

I answered to another thread that you started elsewhere in the forum. Please, send this out to get challenge tested if you are planning to sell. Sagescript Institute is reliable and reasonably priced. Based on my experience and research, potassium sorbate and ascorbic acid are inadequate to preserve lotion.

Essential oils will not cause your lotion to separate although depending on which you use, it might result in a thinner consistency.

My advice is test, test, and test again. Leave your lotion out in a humid bathroom for a month or two and then get it tested by an outside laboratory. Don't assume that the end user will keep it in the refrigerator or use it within a short time period. Assuming it passes muster, you will also need liability insurance and will have to research what laws regulate the sale of cosmetics at the federal and local levels.

I would be very leery of selling water-based products without a lot of experience under my belt. Too much potential for bacterial, viral, or fungal contamination for my comfort level.

I answered to another thread that you started elsewhere in the forum. Please, send this out to get challenge tested if you are planning to sell. Sagescript Institute is reliable and reasonably priced. Based on my experience and research, potassium sorbate and ascorbic acid are inadequate to preserve lotion.

Essential oils will not cause your lotion to separate although depending on which you use, it might result in a thinner consistency.

My advice is test, test, and test again. Leave your lotion out in a humid bathroom for a month or two and then get it tested by an outside laboratory. Don't assume that the end user will keep it in the refrigerator or use it within a short time period. Assuming it passes muster, you will also need liability insurance and will have to research what laws regulate the sale of cosmetics at the federal and local levels.

I would be very leery of selling water-based products without a lot of experience under my belt. Too much potential for bacterial, viral, or fungal contamination for my comfort level.

Wow, this is all really scary!! I am really glad I found this site now! I had no idea! I am gonna definitely take my time!! I will look into getting it tested for sure! Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. I see you're a Wisconsinite and just wanted to say "Hey there" from a fellow Wisconsinite.

Also, I agree with Judymoody, potassium sorbate and ascorbic acid are not broad spectrum preservatives for cosmetics. Also, if you plan on selling your lotion as an "organic lotion" make sure you check out the legal aspect of it.

Hi,

I also don't think that lotion base is adequately preserved. I've used Bitter Creek Candle Supply's base and it is really good and preserved properly.

Welcome to the forum. I see you're a Wisconsinite and just wanted to say "Hey there" from a fellow Wisconsinite.

Also, I agree with Judymoody, potassium sorbate and ascorbic acid are not broad spectrum preservatives for cosmetics. Also, if you plan on selling your lotion as an "organic lotion" make sure you check out the legal aspect of it.

Hello fellow neighbor!!!! Glad to see more wisconites here!! Where Svouts are you from?? I spoke with the manufacturer of the base, she said that I could add a preservative to it, that's what others have done that bought the natural base. Such as colloidal silver or leuicial. But being a rookie I don't even know how much I would need to add ad if it would change the texture.. The next time around I will not go with this base, but for now I would like to do something with it so it isn't a waste..

I'm in Eau Claire.

Your supplier didn't actually say colloidal silver, did they? That is absolutely not a proper preservative & can cause some health problems just by itself :(
Honestly I wouldn't add a preservative now because there may already be bacteria growing in there and adding a preservative now wouldn't help with that and most preservatives work best when they've been added during formulation.

If you're interested in organic lotion bases, just let us know. We might be able to find some that are properly preserved. Although, I can't think of any certified organic broad spectrum preservatives.

I'm in Eau Claire.

Your supplier didn't actually say colloidal silver, did they? That is absolutely not a proper preservative & can cause some health problems just by itself :(
Honestly I wouldn't add a preservative now because there may already be bacteria growing in there and adding a preservative now wouldn't help with that and most preservatives work best when they've been added during formulation.

If you're interested in organic lotion bases, just let us know. We might be able to find some that are properly preserved. Although, I can't think of any certified organic broad spectrum preservatives.

How funny!! I live only 45 mins from you, near Rice lake!! You are right there are no certified preservatives, I just would like to get as close to natural as possible and still have a decent shelf life for selling.. I'm going to try this one out, see how it does timeframe wise for quality.. If it doesn't work, them I will try something else..

Latest posts

Back