Grrrrr...Can I vent???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinkydancer

Reaction score
I just had to share with someone. Please tell me I'm not the only one this has happened to.

I had taken a hiatus from soaping for awhile to deal with an illness. I'm back now but before that I had been making soap for 10 years or so. My family even longer. I always had good luck with batches, well until now.

I always RTCP and my recipe is one that I have always used, it's the Trinity with full water and 5% SF. I add 1 TBS ppo of Castor at trace. I have never really had too much of a problem ever, I had some fast acceleration at times but never a seize or ricing. My last 2 batches- I had 1 of each. The FO's were from Nature's Garden, the Riced one was China Rain, which I stick blended and sorta saved. I can at least use it and the scent is nice. It's just flatter- I had to take it out of my original mold and put it into a bigger mold. It's ugly but smells good.

The China Rain seized in the mold. I had time to do swirl it but it started clenching, I should have known to stop swirling but there was one corner that was irritating me. LOL So I stuck that in the oven at 170 for an hour and I'm hoping for the best when I pop that out.

I definitely know it was the FO because I had extra of colored portion of soap that I stuck into another mold- it's unscented and fine.

So- sigh....what a way to start the new year. At least the batch before these two turned out nice- OHP Castile- OMH. Yummmm!

I'm thinking about sticking to HP at least the florals, it might be best. Seeing as I broke down in tears when my nice swirls turned lumpy. :twisted:

I think I just need a hug and need to know I'm not alone. LOL

Any advice? I have never really had these troubles. I just kinda panicked and Stickblended or threw it in the oven when it happened.

I know it's better to throw tricky FO's into the oils before the lye but I would think that would eat up the FO too much or saving some oil and putting the FO in there to buffer it when you add to the main batch.

I dunno- which way do you all think is better.

Thanks for reading my rant- just writing this has made me feel tons better.

I just stick to HP for tricky FO/EOs. It save a lot of heartache, panic, swearing and the possibility of failure.

It's nice to get an excuse to do some HP for a change anyway. I do either OHP or Crock-pot HP, not fussed.

Thanks Jenny I needed that! ;)

I think your right-mad. HP is probably the way to go for the "others" who refuse to work.

The soap doesn't look that bad and doesn't zap but I haven't cut it yet. It's a bit fugly on top but hopefully it will be less fugly in the middle. Keeping my fingers crossed here.

I just unmolded and cut!! It's ugly and the color didn't come out but useable! Woo hoo!!

ive tried the fo in oils, didnt help for the bad ones, still clumped up. I have one that every time i use it, as soon as i add the fo it gets thick instantly, if i didnt love the smell(french van amber) i wouldnt do it again or do hp, but i tried, again, same thing! :cry: I can relate girl.

Anyone else have troubles with this FO from NG? I was thinking about soaping it today but after reading this post, maybe I should hp it?

Latest posts

Back