Grapefruit Shampoo bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forherbs

Reaction score
I found a recipe that sounds very interesting. Can anyone give me feedback on it, or suggestions?

2 whole grapefruit, including seeds, juice, pith, and rind, puréed in blender.

2 TBLS. Epsom Salt
8.7 oz. Sodium Hydroxide
17 oz. purified water

1 cup powdered milk
2 oz. avocado oil
16 oz. coconut oil
40 oz. olive oil

Why would you want to add 2 whole grapefruits? I think that would spoil rather quickly and add too much liquid to the recipe, so you need to account for that. I think the % of CO is too high. Might be really drying. A whole cup of powdered milk also seems like too much. I only add 1 tbsp per ppl when I make my goat milk soap. Look at Genny's shampoo bar recipe on this site. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=30946

It works beautifully and you can add some grapefruit eo for scent. That is my two cents.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the grapefruit neutralize most of the lye? I plugged the recipe (minus the additives) into SM3 and the oil/lye/water ratios are not too far off though. It's moisture that will cause spoiling.

I wouldn't use it. Not only will that much grapefruit neutralize much of the lye creating a very superfatted bar but epsom salt mixed with soap is what make soap scum. I think it would make your hair very oily and gunky, if it would even set up and be usable.

There is a video on youtube by soaping101 about lemon soap, she shows exactly what happens when you use too much acidic liquids in soap.

Back