Spread the Mayo love

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AhZo

Reaction score
Hi
This is probably obvious to people who can cook. I just sort of 'do stuff' in the kitchen and it comes out right some of the time.
Lately have been playing with emulsifications - hollandaise, mayonnaise, toum, etc. Note: I generally avoid purchasing mayo, mustard, ketchup, bbq sauce, etc. (Note: "avoid" means I will do much to not buy it, but sometimes okay with the time saving of purchasing ready-made.)

For me, making mayo has always been a production, so I did not do it that often, until I ran into another recipe.
I can not keep all forums rules in my head, so I do not know if I can post a link - but I think if you google "two minute mayonnaise recipe" - using a stick blender. The trick is to use a jar just barely wider in diameter than the head of the blender. Toss 1 tbls lemon juice, 1 tsp dijon, a whole egg. dump 1 cup oil on top. Let set for 15sec. Start on the bottom, flat & hard against the bottom of the jar, and just blend until the mayo forms, then slowly raise up the head of the blender.

--> Literally 2min from zero to about a cup of mayo. <--
So easy!

I did not even have a lemon, but we made Mexican food all last week (birria, enchiladas, pollo asada; until last night's beef bourguignon!) so we had limes. Also did not use Dijon, but used my own homemade mustard (a grainy yellow and brown mustard seed blend with shallots and white wine).
Srsly: I have used this recipe something like 5 times and have yet for it to fail or the emulsification to 'break' or anything.
(Same website helped me with my toum, which I could never get the right consistency. Until the last time I made it. mmmm....toum. (If you do not know it, it is a Middle Eastern garlic sauce. If you love garlic, make it!))

Now to take this experience with food emulsifications and apply it to making beard oleogel like I was posting about weeks ago.

mmm...emulsifications
It was so handy when we would have asparagus this season and I could just throw together a hollandaise.
3 out of 5 mother sauces: check!

That's awesome, @AhZo!

I hated mayo my entire life... until the first time I made my own at age 40-something. Then it was like the heavens opened and the angels sang (or like @KiwiMoose saying "faahhts" - pretty much same-same).

My attempts at 2-minute mayo have not been successful, but I don't think I focused on using a very narrow container. I will try that again, since it would be so much easier than pulling out my food processor to do the drizzle method.

Also, forum rules do allow link posting. Got one for me on the toum? Sounds like something DH and I would seriously love. :)

That's awesome, @AhZo!

I hated mayo my entire life... until the first time I made my own at age 40-something. Then it was like the heavens opened and the angels sang (or like @KiwiMoose saying "faahhts" - pretty much same-same).

My attempts at 2-minute mayo have not been successful, but I don't think I focused on using a very narrow container. I will try that again, since it would be so much easier than pulling out my food processor to do the drizzle method.

Also, forum rules do allow link posting. Got one for me on the toum? Sounds like something DH and I would seriously love. :)

I use a Cuisinart Smart Stick and a jar from Bonne Maman jelly, Costco size. Will probably try the regular size next time (we buy a lot of that brand of jelly - Yes, I make my own jelly usually, or at least a quick compote, but I swear they put crack in that stuff because I can not seem to get enough - but I may be a touch of a francophile - anything in French and I am all, "Hellooooo". Dinner tonight was leftover beef bourguignon and we will probably be doing my grill variant of chicken provencal)

The drizzle method did not always work for me.
Oh, also this recipe uses a *whole* egg and I have only recently started using it. Apparently the extra whites help...? Something something?

Posting recipes - I make no endorsement of the website because I have not really looked at it beyond a couple of recipe links.

Mayo: Two-Minute Mayonnaise Recipe

Toum: Traditional Toum (Lebanese Garlic Sauce) Recipe
And we LOVE the toum, but we are a garlic fanatic household. Also a superhot pepper fanatic household, but we can save those for other recipes - better for summer! Mmmm...rib season is coming!

Oooh, I love anything from Serious Eats. I'm definitely going to try that one as soon as I can find some good garlic. Will report back once I make it!

We make the toum, along with tahini (sauce made with sesame paste, lemon juice, garlic, water) and harissa (hot sauce!) to go with grilled chicken we marinate with a shawarma-esque type of marinade. It is one of our 39 preferred meals.

My recipe variations are *not* authentic, but I would be happy to share beacuse I have so few things to share (cuz I am just not good at anything - except making my husband fat!).

Latest posts

Back