Goats Milk question!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scentapy

Reaction score
So last night I did my first goats milk soap and I am not sure if my lye fully dissolved despite my stirring and stirring.
I chilled my goats milk in the freezer until it was slushy and then added my lye to it. It turned orange and looked curdled. I stirred and stirred. My lye mixture never really smoothed out - it remained curdled looking and orange when I finally added to my oils. What concerns me though is that there were little white flecks in the mixture and I can see them in my soap (very tiny). The soap has been in the mold since about 11:00 last night and seems to be fine otherwise.

What do you think?? Do you think my lye did not dissolve? Has this happened to anyone else?

I will try to capture a picture when I get home later if that will help.

A-ha... so those little white flecks could be the saponified fats? Oh I sure do hope it comes out OK!!

THANKS!!

It sounds to me like you may have added the lye too quickly and burnt the milk. Did you dump it into the milk all at once?

I freeze my milk solid and add the lye very slowly - maybe a TBS at a time, moosh it around, scrape off the slush, then add more lye. I keep stirring the almost liquid as I go, too. The mixture rarely even gets to a pale yellow with this way. It does take a while though! Probably close to 15 minutes.

I poured slowly while constantly stirring but when I say slowly I mean: as opposed to dumping it in all at once - I had all the lye in the GM in about 30 seconds which is certainly not slowly compared to 15 minutes!

I will try your technique next time I do GM. Thanks for the tip!!!!

I freeze the goats milks solid as well in a flat ziplock freezer bag and take off chunks as I need it. It's a little more work to break up but I find that it forces you to not rush the lye solution.

Latest posts

Back