Goat's milk in rebatch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessrof

Reaction score
So I made a bastille soap (olive oil and castor oil) and I am not liking the way it looks so I want to tackle a rebatch with the end pieces and add goat's milk. Now I know using any milk with cold process somehow processes the milk so it does not sour, but is that also the case when rebatching? Thanks for any help!

I know several people have commented in the past they have used milk for their rebatches because it helps to produce a smoother consistency. There may have been other reasons but that's the one I remembered. I just did a rebatch and used a little bit of buttermilk. However, my soap was less than a week old so I used very little - probably less than an ounce since I didn't want the soap to be too soft.

I think you can use goat milk in your rebatch as long as you don't add too much. How old is the soap? Did you use a water discount for the bastille? You'll also be cooking the soap so you shouldn't have a problem with souring but the GM will be darker than if you had made an ungelled CP batch.

You can always use instant dry goat milk powder. I have used the "Instant" dry milk in many rebatches and it does totally smooth out the soap and makes the pouring more fluid. Make sure you use the instant type of dry milk or dissolve your powdered milk in a little hot distilled water before adding to the soap or you will have lumps of dry milk in the soap.

So if I use regular goats milk, how long will the bar be fresh? Do I risk the chance that the bar will sour? The batch is 1.5 weeks old and I did not take any remarkable water discount as this is only my second batch of soap. Also, I would really like to add breast milk to this instead of goats milk (I know I am a freak). I would be using milk that has already been scaleded. Is heating what helps milk soaps to last? Thanks for all the help :)

trying the same

I was wondering this, too.

hoping to use up my leftover breast milk by using it for re-batch.

has anyone tried?

Rebatching rarely improves the appearance of soap. I wouldn't rebatch unless the soap was unsafe (lye heavy, lye crystals, separated).

You can make CP soap with any kind of milk, including breast milk. Saponification will take care of any preservation issues. Don't know about how much you could add to HP without worrying about spoilage.

Just wondering about the use of milk in the rebatching in HP. There would be no free active lye left in a week plus old soap would there. I read that during the saponification process the milk usually converts to sodium lactate. So really this process won't happen in this rebatch but the milk will remain milk. Correct? Or have I got this all wrong.

Latest posts

Back