Goat Milk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvan

Reaction score
So I decided to make my first small batch of a goat milk soap. I used frozen milk and the temp of the lye solution never topped about 90 degrees. I went ahead and added it to my oil mixture (apricot kernel, olive, palm kernel and coconut oils) and it traced almost immediately. It did not curdle. My question is this: I couldn't tell if all the lye was dissolved in the milk and didn't know if it really would at the temp it was (about 90 degrees). Because I had to mix so fast to get it blended, I am wondering if this will be a usable batch. I didn't see any crystals. I ran this through the MMS lye calculator before proceeding. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jen

I think it's hard to say whether or not it was dissolved before you added it to the oils. You may just have to see when you cut it!

I just made a batch with gm and it was at room temp . It did not register on the thermometer at all.The soap is fine.
How hot were your oils ? If the soap traced well and there were no crystals left in your lye mixing jug , you should be fine. The only thing to do is give the zap test and check it out for lye pockets or liquid when you unmold it.

HTH

Kitn

I have unmolded the soap, cut it, and no pockets of lye. There is no white ash, no crystals visible and no zap. I guess all I have to do is wait to see if the peach fragrance starts to mellow. It's not pungent, but sure doesn't smell good... :(

GM can add sort of an ammonia scent for the first little bit and confuse everything. Wait to give it your critism. It will probably be fine. Glad you don't have any lye pockets :D

i have a really fine mesh strainer that i pour my lye liquid thru into my soap pot when i make milk soaps just to make sure.

although if you stirred it well it shouldn't have any undissolved lye. and as long as you didn't have an orange colored liquid you didn't burn the milk and their shouldn't be to much of an off odor from the milk.

peach fragrance oil is one of those that i have never found it to be good in a milk soap, for some reason.

Back